Sunday, July 20, 2008

Enough already!

Earlier in the summer I moved my bed down from the loft so it could be next to the window. It gets so hot in the loft that I can't sleep. It's been a perfect summer move. I usually keep the windows wide open at night for fresh air circulation. Being right next to the window helps a lot. Well, I went to bed around 8:30 pm but just woke up to the sound of pouring rain a few minutes ago. I love the sound of pouring rain. I love the frightening sound of thunder and rain, the kind of thunder that is so close you think you might get struck. It makes me wonder, What's God doing up there? Is He moving furniture around upstairs? The thunder and lightning are incredible to me. It would be difficult to live in a place that rained 24/7 though. I need sunshine.
-------------
Since I'm up, I thought I'd blog about the reality I've been living in this past week. After 8 consecutive days of absolutely not even ONE workout, I'm happy to finally say, Enough already! I think the real Jen is beginning to resurface. While all workouts came to a complete halt after Saturday's Sprint Tri, it wasn't because I was sore or I needed a break. Honestly, I felt great after the race, which says a lot about the training plan I followed. I must have done something right. So, I'm thankful for that.

Instead I said to myself, "You did it, Jen. Good job. Now just relax...." Even though my body wasn't in pain and could have kept working out. Well, that's fine, for a day or two. But I'm a habitual person and if I don't stay in one routine, I'll trade it for another.

What's my routine been this week? Pretty much eating a magnum bar every night and lots of Tibi chocolate. For those of you in the States, unfortunately I don't think you can get either. Maybe that's a good thing. They are both quite delicious and in my case they've quickly become my new habit. Time to break it though.


Enough Magnum bars and Tibi chocolates. I have a new goal and I better get it together! I find if I don't have a goal in front of me, I'll just sit around reading, writing and eating bon-bons. I'd rather do that but also pursue goals. Then while I'm out accomplishing them, I have something to come home to and look forward to. :D Seriously. No more!

I'm excited to say that I startay 1/2 marathon training plan tomorrow. I've got a 3 mile run and I'm going to add a spinning class with a new friend tomorrow night (errrr, tonight). I honestly can't wait.

So am I really doing this 1/2 marathon?

Why? I hate to run.

I'd rather go eat Magnum bars and read all my books. But, that only lasts for a few days (8 to be exact!)
Then I realize I need action. Oh well, I guess it's much more rewarding to eat a Magnum and read something interesting after a good workout right?

Enough already! The rain and thunder stopped outside....and my brother, unaware of the time difference, just called....Maybe I'm going to start my day after this call? Gotta give him my full attention...

I' hope to get back to the Zzzzs where I'm sure I'll be dreaming about Magnum bars and Spinning class.

3 comments:

Meg said...

I love sleeping to the sound of rain and thunder. I hope you had a good run and good luck starting training!

akshaye said...

As a kid I always wanted a room with a tin roof so that I could hear the rain :)

Good luck with training... any specific plan you're following?

Jen in Budapest said...

Akshaye - I found a training program through Dartmouths clubs on campus....there are three levels. I'm doing the beginners level. Here's the link.

http://mba.tuck.dartmouth.edu/pages
/clubs/triathlon/training/
Half_Marathon.htm