Saturday, July 5, 2008

Dodgem Auto Iskola


Getting your drivers license in Hungary is a complex, frustrating and hairy ordeal, or so I've been told. Honestly, I'm surprised that some people actually have their licenses. There are some CRAZY drivers here. Let me remind you that this is coming from someone whose lived in Los Angeles, the land of crazy drivers.

Last Fall I feared for my life while driving with Andras in a small car through Budapest. He thought he was racing in the Indy 500 or something. It's another story for another time, but I say that to say that for whatever reason, the process of getting your license here is brutal but probably for a good reason! I'm serious. Both car and motorcycle drivers are down right scary!

So, apparently when taking your drivers test in Budapest you are guaranteed to fail the first time (I'm told it's because it's for the money), among other reasons. Sounds sort of strange to me but when Peter found out we only pay $50 to get a license and that yes, if you're a good driver, you usually pass the first time, he was consumed with driver jealousy. His wife Nori has a license and a small car and so these conversations came up as Nori, Peter, Eszter and I were driving around Budapest.

While walking to our offices recently, I noticed a sign that made me laugh..The name of a business advertising their driving school hung on the building.

"Dodgem Auto Iskola..."

Iskola is school in Hungarian. It's a drivers school. And I thought to myself with a chuckle and a smirk....."Dodge 'em".....teaching Hungarians how to dodge their fellow bad drivers is probably a great idea.

1 comment:

akshaye said...

Haha! Whacky name!