Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Happy camper


Today, I am a happy camper.

Last night I talked to my friend Lara and we booked a hotel room near the race for two nights. The rest of the time she will stay with her Lithuanian friends and I'll stay with my South African/British friends. Being closer to the race sight is giving me a lot of peace of mind. London is a big city and they drive on the other side of the road so I wasn't sure how I'd get this bike over to the race. Now I'm within a few miles and I can ride over in the morning, no problem. All of that was exciting news to sleep on.

When I got online this morning, my sister was on skype. I couldn't believe it! We chatted and chatted and chatted and.....ah, it was the next best thing to being there in Reno with her and the kids this summer. When life slows down, which it has a bit for me this summer, you realize the things that are missing in your life. And family is a big part of that for me. As they say in Hungary, nagy csaladom nekem es szerentem. I have a large family and I love them....

Then I got a message from my brothers girlfriend that the government $$ came in the mail! I can't tell you how timely this news is. I was contemplating fishing in London to get a meal or bringing crackers and peanut butter. Now, I have a little breathing room.

I was hungry for lunch around 11 am and looked in the cabinet to find all my yummy albacore tuna packets that Taylor Ann brought me last week from the USA. I'm sort of a tuna snob and Albacore tuna is the best in my opinion. I recently found canned tuna here in Hungary, so it's not a novelty and I'll eat it, but yuck compared to Albacore. And I LOVE to eat it with a little light mayo, spicy mustard and pickles! It is hands down a favorite for me! I also found these yummy crackers here in Hungary called Gran Pavesi, olive flavor are the best. So, you put the tuna mix on top of a cracker and woahlah. Mixed together, this is a delicious summer snacky meal.

Well, I'm off to the pools at Margaret Island. I packed my bag and decided to make a day of it with things to read, some snacks and sunscreen. I only have to do a 20 minute swim which is nice. I can spend the rest of my time leisurely laying poolside and soaking in the rays. There are three outdoor pools, an indoor pool and a sauna. My body is still recovering and I can feel it so I'll take full advantage of this swim day.

8 comments:

Matty C. said...

Ah, tuna and pickles. If I'm going to eat tuna, it's only with sweet pickle relish. Muy bueno!

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Albacore tuna .... yup Albacore so much better :-)

Last night I had my Tuna, cheese, crackers & pickles...with mustard on the side...yummy & fills me up!!

Glad u got a room closer to race to ease the pre-race stress a bit.

akshaye said...

love skype.. if you can coordinate the time difference its perfect!

tuna snob .. love it :)

glad the race accommodation worked out well! Enjoy your day at Margaret Island.

Wes said...

I can't imagine the logistics of being an international triathlete :-) I too am a big fan of tuna, but nobody else in my family will eat it. Grrrrr!!

Hope you had a fun day at the pool!! I was reading your post about the wet suit. I snagged Dee Dee one off of ebay for $110.00. Either we got lucky with the size or it doesn't matter all that much. Close is good :-) I don't think there is any tri on the planet though, that would MAKE you wear a wet suit. Having swum in Europe, I can definitely see the advantages of having one though.

and yes, your sisters make the cutest kids :-) and I'm not biased either!!

Jen in Budapest said...

Glad to see I'm among tuna lovers! :D

Awe, thanks Wes. Yes, they are cute. Love 'em so much

No(dot dot)el said...

yes, the skype chat that kept me up wayyyyyyyyy past my bedtime but well worth it. glad you got your own fun in the sun day.
hey wes- you are a smart man :) with very good eye sight !!!

Anne said...

The tri suit looks spectacular on you. In fact, you already look like a winner!

Jen in Budapest said...

Thanks Anne :D Now it's time to act like one too.....