Saturday, July 19, 2008

Heavy Duty Shoes


On many a morning, I stumble into the kitchen for a cup of java and head to the laptop to read a short but strengthening devotional. The combination is often just what I need to get my feet going in the right direction for the day. One of my favorite authors is Charles Spurgeon, whose sermons and teachings have been compiled into a few online devotionals. Although written in older English, I like the insights he gleans.

Today one that particularly stood out was something he wrote from Deuteronomy 33:25 which he called "Heavy Duty Shoes".
Spurgeon talks about what a traveler (pilgrim, believer, journeyman) needs - and he boils it down to two things: shoes and strength. Immediately it caught my interest for two reasons. First, I've always seen my life in terms of a journey but never really thought about the shoes. Sometimes my "spiritual" shoes get worn out from pounding the hard rocky pavement of doubts, unbelief, thoughts of settling. Sometimes weariness sets in and one needs strength for the journey. And second, for a not so spiritual reason, I've been thinking alot about shoes since the Sprint Tri last Saturday. My New Balance running shoes finally get to retire to the land of old and worn out shoes. They served me well competing but it's been a year and they have seen their last days!!

Spurgeon's point about needing "heavy duty shoes" comes from a promise God makes to a man named Asher and his sons, a promise to anyone who believes. Basically God promises these warriors that He will care for their feet -- He'll be sure the men's feet are bathed in oil (sounds good after a nice run), strengthened, softened, soaked in nurturing creams/oils so as to be ready and rested for service. He also promises that His shoes will be made of iron and bronze. Not the best for running but when it comes to walking thousands of miles over rocky terrain, you need something that is going to outlast the rough and rugged roads beneath your feet.

I hope I didn't lose you on this analogy. Because here's where personal devotion comes in. "Oh God, my feet are weary. Bring on the oils....And I put in one order of shoes made of iron and bronze. You know I need and want these shoes So I can make it for the long haul! You know I need your strength."

I'm not sure where you are in life but here's where I am at. It's been said that it's not how well you start something but how well you finish. God started a work in me and He will be faithful to do His part to complete it. Will I? I want to make it to the end -- with a clear and strong vision and purpose still in tact, not going backward but constantly moving forward on the road. And this is where the scripture resonates in me. There's strength and training involved. Something inside has to take place and this is where God promises even more! This chapter goes on to promise that these men will have strength given in proportion to the stresses of life and the burdens they bear each day -- as long as they have breath!

Wow! What an encouragement. When I require fresh energy to stay on the road ahead, God will supply strength equal to the need. This word given to Asher is given to me (and you) today as you put on your shoes -- Are they the heavy duty ones made out of the steel of faith in Him? What about your confidence in God to see you through to the end? Rise up with a believing heart and realize that there is no one like Him to perfect the things that concern you today!

My favorite part of Deuteronomy 33:26-29

"There is no one like the God of Jeshurun, who rides on the heavens to help you and on the clouds in His majesty. The eternal God is your refuge and underneath are the everlasting arms.....(you) will live in safety...; (your) spring is secure in a land of grain and new wine where the heavens drop dew. Blessed are you....He is your shield and helper ...."


Because He is strong, I have strength.

Because He will provide shoes that won't wear out, I can make it to the finish line.

When I think about my life journey, I'm in desperate need of those "heavy duty" walking shoes and an infusion of strength. And I thank God that He's waiting for me. He will do it. And this brings joy in the journey....

PS - You too can post pictures of yourself from photo booth with Mac. Ha ha..did you like that Well Bell??? :D

7 comments:

TimmyMac said...

Good stuff Jen . . . Reminds me also of when Apostle Paul told us to shod our feet with the gospel of peace . . .

akshaye said...

Great analogy Jen. Thanks.

And I love the pictures! So did you just get a Mac?

No(dot dot)el said...

i did like that jen, and i did but then you already knew that.
great chattin with you sis.

Jen in Budapest said...

Tim - yep but what does "shod" mean?

Akshaye - I've been a "machead" for a few years now but one of my sissys just got a mac, so I'm super excited. :D

Noel - LOVE YOU SIS. Have fun at camp this week. And thanks again.

TimmyMac said...

Jen - Shod = "to provide with shoes" . . . Shod is the word used in the KJV . . . It's funny how even though I never read KVJ and can barely understand it these days, there are still certain verses from my youth that when I try to quote them I can only remember in KJV . . . weird . . .

Anonymous said...

i love your blog :) it makes me smile to read it!!

Jen in Budapest said...

Tim - thanks cool.

Olivia - :D