Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Olympics & A Swim Gone Bad


I'm not sure why I love following the Olympics but for several years now I've loved learning about the games, the athletes, their countries. It's interesting to me. I don't know a lot about it but I guess when it comes down to it, I'm a sucker for Olympic inspiration, a sucker for the story. How do these people get to this place? Most athletes were once just simple people living somewhere in the world but with determination, discipline, talent and strength of will they are now competing with the best around the world in that sport. Although I'll obviously never be in the Olympics, I love watching it and reading about it while I eat a nice bowl of chicken pasta pesto or some other delicious food, chocolate and a glass of wine. Maybe I'm living vicariously through these stellar athletes but it's interesting and I'm inspired by the day in and day out training of the body, making it your slave for a higher purpose. It motivates me to continue.

Yesterday I learned a bit of history while following the Olympics. Did you know there is a small provincial country situated between France and Spain called Andorra? Yep. There is and there is a 22 year old swimmer who will represent Andorra at the Olympics for the second time. I can't imagine being 18 years old and going to the Olympics. So awesome! That was Hocine Haciane four years ago when he competed in the 200 meter Swim. He'll be there again, this time doing the 400 meter.

Speaking of Olympic athletes, my friend Lara's roommate is Austra Skujyte. Austra won the silver medal in Heptathlon in 2004 and she'll be competing again! She went to school at Kansas University with Lara but is from Lithuania and lives there now again. Lara was showing me pictures of her first training facility and wow. Can we just say you can train anywhere and somehow press on and through it to be an Olympic athlete? It's not about your conditions.

Now for my non-stellar, not so Olympic 20 minute swim report. Actually let me tell you about the day at Margaret Island. The overcast weather didn't keep me from making my way to the lap pool outside. As I looked for open lanes, I realized I wasn't in a rush to get in the pool because I had the entire afternoon to read, soak in the sun, and people watch -- so I found a place to lay my stuff down and start soaking in the rays. After a few minutes, I checked on lanes and all the lanes were full so I decided to read for awhile.

I noticed a swim coach on deck shouting out drills to two guys who had all their gear -- flippers, snorkel stuff, floaties, hand paddles and even a tank thing that I watched them swim with later. I watch them in between reads. These guys were definitely swimmers. I used to go to swim practice with the girls swim team on campus at UNR in Reno to encourage them during their workouts. You could say it was part of my job at the time but it always inspired me to get to the gym..... So, when I say these men were swimmers I say that with all reverence-- the broad shoulders and muscular back, tiny waist, buttocks, lean muscular legs. This is the body type of most swimmers. I remember two girls I was closest to -- Jackie and Terina from Reno had no fat on the back or waist -- no muffin top as they call it. Just ripped to the core in a swimmer sort of way. And can I just say that is not my address, that is not where I live!???!!!

Well, back to the swimmers at hand. They were on their game. Lap after lap. Drill after drill. I got inspired. Maybe something would rub off. Well, 1.5 hours later, they were finished. They didn't even look breathless. One of the guys was still smiling when it was over and did some major stretching which must have felt great after all that arm work. Can I just say that at this point in my life, I cannot imagine, for the life of me, swimming for 2 hours in the pool? Someday I want to join a Masters but I'd have to work up to that for sure.

Still inspired, I waited for the guys to leave before jumping in. I warmed up and used the flippers. Then hand paddles. Why have I been so unable to keep the stamina I felt I was gaining in the pool? Taking two weeks off has really got me nervous. I just didn't have access to a lap pool and I pushed myself instead with running and biking. I'm a bit nervous about the swim on race day. That, and if a tire goes flat.

Well, I was slow to warm up in the pool but I did finish my 20 minutes and felt I had a few more laps inside so I went for it, deciding to go as fast as I could for a few more laps. Then all of a sudden I'm hitting the lane dividers and I'm like, what? Am I THAT OFF my game and all over the place?? When I looked up, I found they had released the lane dividers to reel them in and the lane dividers were doing the snake and weave all over the pool.

Um yeah. I felt like a big dork. Oh well. I had a great day with a few hours poolside and a 20 minute swim.

4 comments:

akshaye said...

Nice swim :)

I got hugely addicted to the games as a kid. Its such an amazing spectacle. Btw.. if you like Olympic history you'll enjoy this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milkha_Singh

Its about an Indian athlete who was immensely poupular in the 1960 games because people thought he was a saint! I am not sure about the article, but legend has it that the first time he wore shoes while running was in the Asian Games because they wouldn't let him compete barefooted!

Jen in Budapest said...

Thanks.
Interesting story on "the flying Singh". Also got me reading about the Partition of India. Amazing how many countries have been divided by war. Hungary is a product of that too with 2/3rds being annexed to other surrounding nations with the Trianon Treaty. Hm.

akshaye said...

Yep. My family hails from what went on to become Pakistan. My grandma still talks about how she grew up there.

Whats even more interesting to me is how two countries, that became independent at the same time, in the same region have taken such different paths. It leaves me in awe of the choice to run India as a free secular democracy. It has more than its share of problems - but in reading more about our first prime minister Nehru, I have a huge amount of respect for him.

Jen in Budapest said...

Wow Akshaye. Does your grandma (and your family) still have relatives there? That would be tough.

It is interesting to see how a government system embraced can help or hurt the people living in those countries. Seems like the Prime Minister did a lot to help with education and development. Now I'm curious to learn more about the two nations.