Friday, June 13, 2008

Another day of running

As a new running enthusiast who doesn't really enjoy running, I must say I want to add speed and length quickly but everything I've read reminds me to build slowly. I have to just continue to be patient, consistent, and maintain what I've built so far.

Today I ran 4 miles non-stop! (I know, big deal for all you 1/2 marathon, marathon and ultra runners.) But for me, it was great! I felt like I had more inside too! My splits were decent, with the first one out the shoot always coming in as the fastest - 8:06 and then it's just downhill from there. My longest one being 9:46 or something. That part just stinks! But I did try something I read and that is changing my arm position to a relaxed posture closer to my hips versus tightened posture near my chest. I think it helped ALOT!

Part of me wants to jump out into double digits for distance -- like go from 5 miles to 15 by next week......but of course I know I'll crash and burn. Just build slowly. I know that's the key. As I was running I thought about consistency and why it's so difficult for me -- maybe for all humans -- to be consistent. We either feel really really high or really really low and for ladies this is especially true at a certain time of the month. Oh well. Consistency is a goal and maintaining what I've got is another one.

As I write this, I'm eating the last of my Albacore tuna for lunch. There's a girl coming from the states in a little over a week and she's bringing more. I can't wait! This is one healthy lunch I absolutely love with spicy mustard. Yum. I can eat it plain with no bread or as a sandwich. I LOVE albacore tuna.

I haven't had any pool time this week because I'll be making up for it a lot next week when I'm at Matt and Christy's house. They are going to France for 5 days to scout out a new work that they plan to be a part of in 2009. They asked me to watch their kids and they would even pay me but I honestly am so excited for them and their future in France that I offered to do it for free. I hope I don't regret that!!!

I'll be watching 3 of their 4 kids and staying at their house! They have a girl coming to help 4 hours every day so that's good. Also a few of the University girls live closer to them and I'm hoping they'll come over and hang out with me as well as pithch in when the need arises.

But Matt and Christy have a pool. I'm a little nervous about this because their two little ones don't know how to swim so I'm gonna have to have all eyes on deck and lots of coffee. But once they go to bed or before they get up maybe... I can have all the pool time I want!

We'll see if that is just my fantasy or if it becomes a reality! :D

6 comments:

Kellye Mills said...

Don't rush the running... and don't feel silly about your 4 miles either! One of my favorite running memories is the day that I ran 30 min non-stop! Those moments are priceless!

Have fun this weekend!

akshaye said...

Yeah.. so right. Take it slowly. Way better than injuring yourself!

Enjoy the pool - and kudos for watching over their kids. I hope they take it easy on you :)

allie said...

OMG, that pool thing would scare me! I don't think I could sleep!

Jen, I am SOO impressed by your athletic achievements. You inspire me! We got a treadmill cause it is too hot here to exercise outside, but
now the trouble is we have to only do it when the baby is asleep. Well, needless to say, when he is asleep, I'm busy w/ the other 4, esp. since my dishwasher is broken. AAAAHHH!

Matty C. said...

I left my response to your tag Jen. Have a good one. Chow.

Matty C. said...

Jen, what do you mean when ladies have a low in a certain time of month? I don't get it... (just kidding)

Guys have those too. Not quite like that but we do. New topic!!!!

Congrats on increasing the mileage.

Jen in Budapest said...

Kellye - encouraging to know that a pro like you can remember when you first got to 30 minutes! There's hope for me :D

Akshaye - I hope these kids do too. They are a wild bunch, actually.

Allie - Big smile * I love seeing you on here. I wish you'd start writing a blog too. I like hearing your thoughts :D Anyways I'd try the treddy early in the morning, maybe??

Matty - ha ha. Really? Guys have PMS? Hm. Interesting. Is it hormonal or just circumstantial? Thanks for the encouragement on the miles! One day I'll be pro like you.