Friday, June 6, 2008

Mixed thoughts

This morning I made it to Margaret Island and swam 40 minutes working on technique with my arms and legs. The weather was overcast, but I brought some books and actually had the time to read a little and write in my journal. Although I didn't want to do it, later this evening around 5:30 pm I got out and ran 3 miles. My first split was kickin' at 8:10 and the other two came in at 9:33 and 9:35 which was much better than my crazy recovery from Wednesday's 7:43 which quickly turned to 10:27 split. Anyways, I was encouraged in both workouts. My biggest challenge is eating right. I LOVE chocolate and all the crap food. If I were absolutely serious about this I'd be more mindful. I've read Endurance Sports Nutrition and all the other stuff. I know what to do I just don't do it. I wish I would choose healthier options sometimes. So, I know that I'm going to try but maybe after this triathlon in July I'll get serious about eating habits for the next one!
-------------
As the school year winds down and summer begins, I have mixed emotions about being in Hungary. Of course I'd love to be in Reno with my family, enjoying Lake Tahoe and Truckee River bike rides. But there's a part of me that is just ready to "hit it hard" this summer and finish 2008 strong in Budapest.

A lot of things depend on my visa situation which is still in process. I have a temporary permit to stay until the end of July and we will find out before the end of July what the final verdict is about a residents visa. I would appreciate your continued prayers in that direction. It seems to be the ongoing saga of living overseas. But worst case scenario, my time would be cut short at the end of the summer and I'd go home to be with family. That's not a bad case scenario in my book but honestly I just don't forsee that happening! I think there is a purpose for me being here this summer.

Although we don't have our weekly English club schedule and things wind down to a tremendously slow halt, I've got some unique opportunities to encourage the students who will be around this summer. Although I'm a little uncomfortable with a slow schedule, because I like to be busy, I am making the most of it. Many girls are going to be traveling abroad periodically and some of them are going back to their home towns for the summer.That's going to be a great chance to see some new parts of Hungary as I go and meet up with them there.

This Fall there are some exciting things taking place too. One of the girls, Dori, is most likely (if her university approves) going to start an internship with us using her major which is English translation. This is exciting -- like finding Gold in a dark mine shaft. Also, there may be a girl coming from the states to do an internship for 3 months on the high school campuses with Chris and me. I want to work myself out of a job here before I move on and so that's what I'm hoping takes place the next 6-9 months. I can hardly believe that when my lease ends next February, it will be 2.5 years that I've been living in Hungary.

Although I have absolutely no idea what God holds for the future, I'm excited about it.
I know it's going to be great whatever it looks like.

2 comments:

No(dot dot)el said...

it is really hard REALLY hard not to be a bit biast (sp?) byast, on this one Jen. Ya know I really do just want you to be home going to the Lake with me on Mondays but ya know also that I know that you know that ....God's in control. I do pray things get all worked out for you.

Jen in Budapest said...

I had a funny dream last night. A University student was telling me she got two F's and I invited her to a family picnic in a backyard I didn't recognize. It was huge! There was BBQ and Dad was being corny. Tanya was there and it was relaxed. Missing home for sure!!