Monday, June 9, 2008

While riding and running

"Running is a lot like life. Only 10 percent of it is exciting. 90 percent of it is slog and drudge."
- Dave Bedford, English distance runner who occasionally put in 200 miles a week in training


I rode my bike for 12 miles and kept each mile in the 4 minute range. I finished in 52:14 minutes. I'd like to shave some of the seconds off to keep it at a 4 minute flat, but that's a future goal. If I can pump this out on race day, I think I'd be satisfied with myself.

I'm a little curious about how I'll do without music come race day. Oh well....Here's some of the music I was listening to while riding today:
Jonny Lang - Red Light (original mix)
The Dandy Warhols - All the money or the Simple Life (remix)
The Concretes - You Can't Hurry Love
The Temptations - I Can't Get Next To You
Natasha Bedingfield - Babies
Robin Thicke - Superman
Natasha Bedingfield - Pocket Full of Sunshine
John Mayer - Stop this Train
Cross Movement - Hip Hop Cracy
Desperation Band - I'm in Love With You
Pinback - Loro
Tom Petty - Learning To Fly
India Arie & Akon - I am not my hair

I had some time to come home and drop the bike off, drink some fluids, eat a little chicken and rice and let it settle before getting back out there for a run.

While at home, my cell phone rang and former roommate Anna called to see if I wanted to go to the baths later today. I was a little surprised as just yesterday we went for lunch and ate Hummus and Falafal at this really cool Jewish Hummus Bar joint thingy. As much as I would have liked to, I wanted to get the run in and had to prepare for meeting a teacher this afternoon and a friend Sarah so it just wasn't going to happen, even though today was slow and it would have been nice, I thought.

Looking back now, it's a good thing we didn't go because 1.5 miles into the run with sun shining and only a few clouds it went from drizzle to all out flood. Thunder, lightening, hazy visuals, the whole bit. I felt bad for a group of kids who were in the park no doubt on a field trip day to get out of school.

Oh well. I cranked out 2 miles and forgot my i-pod so I did it without the tunes and survived! I guess I'll survive on race day too.

5 comments:

Kellye Mills said...

Sounds like things are busy and going well for you!! Thanks for all of your sweet comments, and you'll nail that 4 min pace I'm sure!

Anne said...

You've been tagged, Jen!

akshaye said...

Nice brick! Dont worry you'll do just fine without the ipod. Specially if its a crowded race - there is so much energy that you get all the pick up you need from the crowd!

Jen in Budapest said...

Kellye - thanks for the encouragement on the 4 minute pace. I'm working on it. :D

Anne - I followed through for you, though usually I hate those things. :D

Akshaye - sounds good to me. I hope I'll be fine to lose the tunes for a couple hours! :D

No(dot dot)el said...

allie says her dad vinnie has a whole workout regime on his ipod and that if you ask him about it he gets so excited. couldn't you just see vin getting all worked up about that?