Friday, June 6, 2008

Gypsy music at Godor


Last night Luca and I went to the Godor Klub in downtown Budapest to see the gypsy exhibition and listen to a few gypsy bands play live. The Godor Klub is this very cool place with a huge outside teared-terrace where you can sit and enjoy the fresh air while bands play at the bottom but it also has a few stages inside along with the exhibition and that's where it gets sticky!

Not only are my lungs not fit for the smoke fest inside closed quarters, but people were getting drunk and stupid. Luca and I ignored it for awhile because the band was incredible! It was funny because there were two accordians (which reminded me of how my grandpa used to play an accordian -- and I always thought he was weird). But we were listening to the sounds and enjoying it. After awhile I could barely breathe with all the smoke inside so we went outside again so I could catch my breath.

Don't these people know that smoking is bad for your health? And second hand smoke is like 10 x as bad for non-smokers!! Hello???!! I wish someone would send the memo to Europe that SMOKING KILLS LIVES.

By the time we left, I was ready for a brisk walk home. We missed the metro by 5 minutes, so I walked part of the way home which wasn't a big deal because first of all Budapest is really safe (it's nothing like LA -- these people don't own guns) and second of all, I needed the fresh air!! I walked down the famous and beautiful Andrassy Utca, past Hero's Square and then took a bus the rest of the way home. I took a few pictures of some buildings with interesting carvings of human like figures in the buildings along Andrassy.






I've noticed these buildings in the past but never had my camera with me. This time I was ready to get a few shots,even though they aren't the clearest and it's dark. Oh well.

2 comments:

akshaye said...

Thats exactly the memo I wanted to send to France! And I was only waiting at the airport :)

Jen in Budapest said...

Seriously! Europe needs a "say no to cancer sticks" campaign.