Sunday, June 22, 2008

Bon Vivant




So my French couchsurfing guests left this morning but last night we gathered in my livingroom to enjoy a meal they cooked for us. It was some kind of pasta and vegetables and it was delicious! My former roommate Anna joined us because she called to hang out and I invited her to join us since she taught in a French school in Dallas and loves the language, people and culture.

We talked about a lot of things over a nice meal, a glass of wine, and our "Magnum" bars -- the best ice cream bar in the world.

But one thing that I wanted to blog about was a misconception that I believe many Americans have about the French. In fact, I too had this misconception. Claire asked me, "Is it true that most Americans think that the French hate them? Americans ask us this all the time."

I said, "Well, yes. The rumor has been circulated that the French hate Americans so in many cases, without understanding, Americans may hold a grudge against the French - generally speaking."

Claire said, "Well, it isn't true. It just isn't true. We may not like George W. Bush but we don't have problems with Americans."

So, my American readers out there who have that misconception, take it from Claire and Alexandra, two 22 year old French girls -- the French don't "hate" Americans.

Last night they taught us some words in French and my favorite new saying is "Bon Vivant" which basically translates -- the good life.

I'm so thankful to God that despite challenges and pressures and all the in between, God is good and because of His presence in my life I truly believe I'm livin' the good life....Bon Vivant!! Bon Vivant!!

4 comments:

Anne said...

I read another blog about two Americans that just trekked all over the world, and they confirm that Europeans in general and the French in particular hate Bush but not everyone forced to live under him.

akshaye said...

I think we can blame rumor mongering like that to the "fair and balanced" media!

No(dot dot)el said...

ha ha ha akshaye's respone made me laugh, ha haa ha! funny guy.
okay so this is good to know that i can now travel to france without worrying about being hit my the old women like i was in germany :) i really would like to practice all that french i learned in high school.

No(dot dot)el said...

i meant by the old women...sheesh i must be tired.