Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Pubs - The Spare Key & Nevada Pub

So just before my run tonight, Nori sent a text and asked if I'd like to join her to see Peter's sister play at "The Spare Key" pub around 9 pm. This pub actually has a Hungarian name, but I'll spare you the confusion. We met at 8:30 pm, walked to the "Spare Key", and found a place near the front to listen to Eszter and her band. Their band has such a synergy as they've played together as a band since they studied music together in college.


I've been to a few Jazz clubs in Los Angeles but all of the musicians were much older. It was actually historic to see them play. In fact, one time my parents were visiting and my dad was so excited about the man playing (don't remember who it was) because he has a picture with the man from 30 years ago. My dad used to go around Los Angeles and hang out with the "brothas" to listen to real music - enjoying their jazz renditions and creations. I love that about my dad.

Watching Eszter's band play together is amazing because they play whenever they can do sets together. Eszter's voice is remarkable. The band will astound you because they are obviously doing it out of their love for music and their passion. It's not just another "set" to get through but they thoroughly enjoy it and you can tell. These aren't the best pictures, but my camera wasn't cooperating. Atleast you get the idea. All of those pictured are in the band, the girl in the green shirt isn't random. She is the incredible flute player!

Speaking of pubs, there's one called "Nevada Pub" in Budapest and it's just hilarious to me seeing that this is my home state and that I grew up in the capitol city :D. Noel and Andre were able to eat there when they visited in March. The food and beer is good. When Tanya was here, we also went. There's no live music but they definitely have the country music playing. (Not exactly my favorite, but it goes with the ambiance.)


As many times as I've tried to find out how the place got started and why they named it "Nevada Pub" and have all the "Wild West" paraphernalia, I can't seem to get an answer. I guess I need to take Nori one time so she can find out because their English isn't that good. The "Nevada Pub" in Budapest is funny nonetheless.

6 comments:

No(dot dot)el said...

Don't be enjoying those pubs too much Jen cause I don't think beer is on the tri diet!! love you.
the pics are fun.
wish i was there to enjoy that jazz band with you.

Jen in Budapest said...

yeah you would totally love it. actually I've thought of dad quite a bit when Eszter plays. Quite timely this week as it's father's day :D

akshaye said...

Nice.. hey you may not get peanut butter but at least they got beer!

Matty C. said...

Enjoy that good, wholesome country music. There's nothing better.

Matty C. said...

Jen, I read your blogs and get jealous that you have so much to say. I love blogging and have nothing. If I do, it's sometimes not appropriate.

Jen in Budapest said...

Matty - you are funny! The only wholesome country music I like is "Wide Open Spaces..." and a few others. Country is by far my LEAST fav music. I guess it's not as bad as.....heavy metal. OK, maybe that's my least favorite. :D Gina and Noel have been workin' on me though, wearin' me down.....but it's rare that I actually WANT to hear a country song...Well, Blog away! We all love to hear from ya..... Interesting things happen all day long. People watching is my fav. way to get a good blog :D