Sunday, June 8, 2008

Gas crisis creates potential for health fitness

I recently read that gas prices are in the $4-5 neighborhood in the U.S. and how this will affect North Americans towards a healthier lifestyle. I personally have decided that when I move back to the States I want to try and bike it more than I use a car.

I went looking for any recent info about the topic and I found an interesting site called Carectomy (removing cars from people) which quoted a recent Gallup Poll that the crisis is in fact changing American habits. Other sites as well are discussing how the gas increase is causing people to think about their health habits.

Maybe that's why Europeans like to bike! Gas prices have almost always been higher than in the states.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm thinking that biking to work is a good idea. I just wish I had a shower available.

No(dot dot)el said...

our neighbor 2 houses down just timed his route to work 15min. we are getting our bikes up and running and hardly ever drive the Ford anymore. those vw's are the only way to go for these gas prices.
sidenote- tanya's coming over with pics soon. can't wait to see her trip.

akshaye said...

Well.. the bigger problem is that most american cities are designed for the automobile.

This whole month I have not used my car to get to work. I absolutely refuse to pay $4/gal - I know I have to, but I'll cut back use as much as I can. Using the bike, walking and taking the train has been ok so far. The trouble is riding the bus when most routes here are 45 minutes between buses. Thats just not practical.

Matty C. said...

I'd love to ride to work. My bike trip would be approxamately 1 hour 45 minutes. Not really my thing before work, nice clothes and in the dark. However, I have done it in 1:37 before. Well, not quite to work but you could imagine.

No(dot dot)el said...

I would like to ride to work also but wait , I work at home so that doesn't work :)