Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I'm not an Opera girl, but this thing is growing on me

So last night I was going to watch Chris and Renea's little girl, Samantha, so they could celebrate their 5th year anniversary at the Opera house watching Beauty and the Beast. Chris got really sick (vomiting and diarrhea) and Renea didn't want to go to the Opera alone. So, instead of babysitting, I saw Beauty and the Beast with Renea. Although it was in Hungarian, there were English subtitles overhead. Now I can say I've been to the Opera three times in my life -- all here in Hungary. What a production! I kept thinking last night that I would have LOVED to take my nieces to this production. And Renea kept saying she couldn't wait for her little girl to get bigger so she could take her to something like this. It was amazing! I think it was my favorite so far.It could have been as good as anything Disney put out.

Although this would not be my first choice for entertainment, I have to admit it's growing on me. You get all dressed up, sit in these plush red velvet seats and you feel like royalty for a minute.

The first time we saw Gone with the Wind (I think? Can't remember) with a team from Texas who wanted the Opera experience. Then last week it was Italian Opera with my brother's girlfriend Tanya who wanted to go - We saw "Don Carlos". But last night's Beauty and the Beast beat them all! It was outstanding. Incredible costumes, voices, the Orchestra playing, and relatively inexpensive. Well, last night was completely a treat because Renea just gave me Chris' ticket free.

2 comments:

Cliff said...

Opera is good. Just this morning my mom and I were discussing how much I enjoy Italian Opera. I envy you as in Europe, the perofrmance and caliber is much better than the ones in North America :)

Jen in Budapest said...

Cliff - Yes, I never realized how much fun it could be. I've never been to one in North America, but I imagine the quality might not be as good. Sorry, bro!