Saturday, June 7, 2008

Olympic excitement albiet China needs to get it together!


So Austra from Lithuania returned a few weeks ago from the states where she's been intensely training for the Olympics. In 2004, she set a world record in women's heptathlon events and she's out to do it again this year. Why do I care so much?

I remember hearing about Austra while rooming at a college conference with my friend Lara and Lauri back in 2004. They were friends with her and she was competing and we all celebrated when she won Silver in heptathlon events! Now, my friend Lara is living with Austra in Lithuania and honestly I'm so excited and rooting for her to beat her last record and go for the gold. I can't wait to follow her this summer.

Speaking of the Olympics, China is still trying to get it together with their human rights and environmental issues. Part of me is glad the events are being hosted here for the sake of the people in that nation who deserve better. Sometimes I think the only way to get things done is with attention and spot light on an issue. One of the UN under secretaries recently said that things appear to be going well and that all the money the world has invested for this event is paying off specifically with the environmental issues. Achim Steiner said: "it appears to have been well spent - if the lessons learned and measures adopted are picked by municipalities across the country so as to leave a real and lasting nationwide legacy.” We shall see. Honestly, I'm more concerned with China's human rights issues that don't even get media attention. It's frustrating to hear validated stories from other sources and be sworn to secrecy for fear of the lives of some in China who have to keep quiet for fear of retaliation because they are believers in Christ.

China has so much potential as a nation. I hope it's leaders wake up and release their people into greater freedom. Can we just say it's ridiculous and China's leaders need to get it together?

3 comments:

Anne said...

I hope the environmental cleanup lasts longer than the Summer Games. China doesn't have a great track record in that regard.

And Go Austra! My paternal family is from Lithuania.

DawnB said...

Thanks for your visit today Jen. Your Blog is very interesting and I really enjoy your post. And a great big good luck to your friend.

akshaye said...

Its quite amazing that they can just order everything to shutdown so that the air clears up. Shows how much power the govt holds.