Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Expatriate by Definition

Tonight I met a handful of people in the Expatriate Running Club. They meet on Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings on Margaret Island. Since Let's Talk at Lake Balaton didn't happen for me this week, and since our last University English club meets tomorrow night and since I'm an expatriate by definition "a person who lives outside their native country," I thought I'd join fluent English speakers from other nations and be challenged in my running.

We were supposed to meet under this digital clock at Margaret Island. I was there alittle early, hoping to find a friendly face and get comfortable. I went up to one lady who I presumed might be part of the runners club. After she said, "Oh, I don't speak English" I waited around a little while longer. Another guy was lingering so I thought I'd ask if he was there for the club. He said "No" and then asked where I was from. When I told him the U.S., he wanted to know my opinion on who would win the presidency. It's funny but many Europeans are following are presidential elections maybe even more religiously than some Americans. He said he watches the news on it every night.

Finally I found the handful of runners from England and the U.S. and we were off. They posted 7-9 minute miles, and they weren't kidding. My first split as I struggled to keep up with these 7 minute mile runners was 7:42. After I couldn't do it anymore, my second mile was a pathetic 10:47 as I struggled to catch my breath from the first mile. My final mile was 9:45. Also not the best. Even though the running times were terrible, I know myself. I'm that turtle and I'm not giving up. I might be slow, but I'll take whatever this body gives me! I'm not discouraged. I think that this Running Club will be good for me because I'll be pressed to push it for speed and hopefully I'll decrease the time on my personal mile per minutes.
-------------
Let's Talk at Lake Balaton had too many facilitators per students so at the last minute I was told I didn't have to go. I was mostly relieved that I could get things done around here. It provided a bit of relief in the schedule and since Chris has been sick the last few days, it worked out well for me to help Blake cover High school English clubs. Today Blake and I kept the Ujpest high school group entertained (or maybe they entertained us...) as we decided to play Taboo and Apples to Apples.



The group of guys who are coming quite regularly are bright, active and make me laugh. I really like this group of students. Akos, Chrisztian, Gabor, Adam, Thomas and Alex. They seem eager to be with us and learn English so that's great! This school is basically students who are really intelligent when it comes to computer science and the highest percentage happen to be of the male persuasion. Thus, almost all of our English club gatherings in Ujpest end up being male dominated. There are female students at the school but I guess it can be a bit intimidating for the girls with testosterone levels high and competition being a thread in all that's done in the name of English. Still, there are a few girls who come around sometimes like Orshi, Barbie and Kata. Usually though it's Chris and me hanging with the guys. Today it was me and Blake with the boys. It makes me nervous and it makes me laugh.

Next Saturday we'll have an end of the year party at my flat and then walk over to Hero's Square park to play "American Football" since that's what everyone likes to do. Sitting around sipping on a coffee and "chatting" just doesn't cut it for these boys, if you know what I mean. I understand....really I do. Oh well. I like football too.

3 comments:

akshaye said...

7:42.. smoking! That also explains the 10:47 :) I am sure you'll enjoy running with the group.

Meg said...

Goodness, I would have trouble keeping up sub 8:00! Good work! I like your perseverance about going back again!
I remember in Dublin everyone wanted to talk about the US presidency. It's so strange!

Anonymous said...

You have some speedy in you - wow! Running with people that are faster than you is great training. I've been doing that once a week lately and it has helped!

Enjoy your time with the boys. ;)