Sunday, June 29, 2008

Santana's Sound Check & Concert



Nowadays, I'm bringing my camera everywhere with me in an effort to capture Budapest for future posterity. I don't want to have regrets when I'm gone that I didn't take pictures of the things I'm doing, seeing and enjoying while living here.

I went for a run in the late afternoon yesterday and brought my camera. They were setting up in the park for the Santana concert last night and I could hear them doing the sound check as I ran. Yes, I saw Santana play in city park last night, right across the street from my flat for FREE. There were 6 huge screens as well as a huge stage.

My friend Lisa and I met at a coffee shop and walked over to the concert.


She wanted to meet up with some other English teachers who teach at the International Christian School of Budapest, but we just couldn't push through the crowds and crowds of people to the front where they were. So, we camped out near a big screen, had a blast with "Maria, Maria," "Make It Real...or else forget about it..." and a few others.

After the concert, we met up with Lisa's teaching buddies and relaxed in a cafe/ice cream/pub.





























I found out a few interesting facts about Santana -- In 2003 Rolling Stones Magazine, Carlos Santana was ranked #15 out of 100 greatest guitar players of all times. He was also influenced by one of his favorite Bay Area HUNGARIAN guitarists, Gabor Szabo, back in the 60's and 70's.

3 comments:

TimmyMac said...

Jen, I am so jealous over the Santana thing . . . I've never got to see him perform, but have always wanted to . . . I think he is awesome . . .

Matty C. said...

You guys seem to do really cool stuff over there in Budapest. It doesn't seem that fun over here. Do I need to move to Europe?

Jen in Budapest said...

Tim - I knew he was a great guitar player but never really thought I'd see him in concert. It was fun, especially "Maria Maria". And he's just as good if not better in concert!

Matty - 'you guys' over there in Reno do really cool stuff too. I'd be at Tahoe as much as possible...and the Bay area is close by too.I answer your question with a question. I don't know, do you? You could always do a couchsurfing adventure through Europe and see if it's your thing! :s Or do you just need to create some fun memories where you're at.... scope out the cool events and wherever you go, bring the party, BE the party. :D