Saturday, June 21, 2008

My house guests....

So, I recently blogged about couchsurfing, the largest international hospitality network around with almost 600,000 members worldwide. Yes folks, this means people stay (surf) one another's couches in order to travel. But you can actually sign up as a couchsurfer and just agree to meet someone for a coffee or something. You always get to be fully involved in who you want to stay with you and where you want to stay.

My first experience took place last night when I met Claire and Alexandra, two French girls who are not novices to the couchsurfing community. Actually, that's part of the reason why I said "yes" to hosting them, because Claire has quite a few great references (which you can check for security and trust). They are both from the North Western part of France, an area called Brittany. They have been traveling for 2 months and primarily through couchsurfing. They spent almost one full month in Krakow because their couchsurfing guests wanted them to stay longer and longer.

This morning I made breakfast (which is not a requirement, by the way, but I love cooking for people...this hospitality thing is awesome, as long as I don't have to do dishes afterward!) and I gave them maps and a few ideas of things to see in the city.
A few tips they gave me in this couchsurfing adventure - bring your own sleeping bag. You never know. Now that's a good idea...You can also set your profile to just wanting one gender for guests. That's a good idea too as I've now had 15 couch requests and several of them have been from guys. I'm just not comfortable with that as a single woman but hopefully, changing the profile thing will help.

As we were talking, I thought I'd ask them about my last name as, apparently it's French. It's a long story but my great-grandfather was adopted by a French-Canadian family and thus our last name is French. They said it's a common name and that there is a region of France with that same name! Very cool.

My french house guests left this morning to meet another couchsurfer whom Claire once hosted for a week. This other Hungarian will show them around the city and I'm sure they'll have a great time. They will spend two more nights with me and leave on Monday. They may meet up with me and a bunch of Americans tonight to do the Hungarian "Night at the Museum" thing-y - a summer event where you get into all the museums for free.

-------------------

On a completely different note, Dori's school approved her internship with us in the Fall and I'm very very excited. Basically, what this means is for good or for bad she will be around us 24/7 helping with translation and several other things. I can't wait because I really do believe that there are going to be a handful of Hungarian girls who really see how they can make a difference in their nation and maybe be inspired to do so....that's how I'm planning to work myself out of a job in Hungary :D I think it's the best way to do that because basically Hungarians reaching other Hungarians is much better any day of the week than Americans reaching Hungarians. Both have their place, but when it comes down to it, I'd rather be a part of seeing local people equipped and encouraged not to do the "American" thing but to walk in their faith as believers and do the "Christ-follower" thing.

Well, hopefully I'll have pictures from tonight! You can't beat a free night of museum hopping. :D

Jen

4 comments:

Matty C. said...

So Jen, the whole time I'm reading this "couchsurfing" blog and even when you've mentioned it before, I think about safey stuff and not knowing these people you're letting into your home. That's kinda freaky to me. I think it's great but truthfully, I don't trust people. How do you do it? What about people stealing or bringing drugs/illegal stuff into your home. That's my biggest hang up. I also wonder about being a "couchsurfer." What if I go to these people's home and it's not safe or they do/have stuff mentioned above. It's just freaky to me. I just don't trust people. It even takes a long time for me to trust those I'm close to here.

Jen in Budapest said...

Matty:
Couch surfers have references and I felt extremely comfortable letting Claire and Alexandra in. Claire had a TON of great references! I didn't blindly walk into this. I have no reason not to trust someone until they do something to break that trust. I can't say it hasn't crossed my mind -- not trusting them. Then again, it's easier, in my opinion, not to trust someone. But I really try (and I'm not always successful) and believe the best. My parents let tons of people stay with us over the years. I think maybe that's why I feel comfortable having people in my home. Claire and Alexandra (my current guests) are the only ones who have passed the discernment/wisdom test. In some ways it's probably good that you don't trust people. Everyone is bound to let you down at some time or another. On the other hand, you can't live in fear of what could happen either.

Brooke Myers said...

The whole situation is a pretty neat idea; glad nothing negative did take place and that the experience was a positive one...I think it kind of sounds like a fun way to travel - do it differently than staying at a hotel, etc.

on a side note, I see your race is approaching in less than a month... How exciting for you...

Jen in Budapest said...

Brooke - truthfully, I'm really nervous about the race because I don't know the area - London is a big city and I'm completely depending on other people. I'm glad too that the couch surfing has been great so far. I figure everything I have belongs to God. If something negative happened, in the end, He'd work it out. It's been great so far and I'm being wise about it!