Wednesday, June 18, 2008

London is a big city!

My brain is spinning....Tonight I started looking into the details for the trip to London in July. I love big cities, but this is ridiculous.

This might seem nerdy, but I like to line up details and do a run through before I do major things, especially like this. Maybe it's not nerdy for people who are into these events. But when things are unfamiliar, Yes, true confessions here. I get a bit nervous.

I'm wiped out tonight trying to figure out details. Besides the fact that London is ginormous (is that a word?), part of the problem might be that I'm trying to fit too much in as well. Catching up with old friends, organizing the triathlon and meeting a friend to take a few days for vacation is a lot. It all sounds great at the time but then I seem to lose sight of my main goal, which was to finish this race.

Andrew and I haven't emailed for months and that makes me a bit nervous since I just got an "out of office" reply from him. The bike I will be using, the places I will stay (for the most part) are all being organized by Andrew and Berna. Never having done a tri and not knowing what to expect on race day is piled on top of the fact that I am at the mercy of other people's kindness in hosting me to save a ton of money.....(so thankful for friends) I'm flying into an airport that is about 1.5 hours from where my friends live and atleast an hour from the tri site. I also started looking online to find a hotel near Eton College, just as a back up for the night before. As great as online maps are it's hard when you see on the map a railroad or something. Can you cross it and get to the site? Who knows!

Andrew did say he had some people I could stay with who live nearby. I'm hoping its biking distance and I can bike to the event really early in the morning. But worst case scenario?? I have no idea, so I was checking into hotels.

I'm a planner. I've learned to be laid-back and enjoy the ride. But at heart, I will always be a planner...and London is just a big city! My brain is spinning!!

1 comment:

akshaye said...

Wow.. I am excited for you! Only 22 days to go.

London is a great city - one of my fav places. But yes, if you need to pay for accommodation etc. it gets pricey. Hopefully you can get in touch with your friends soon and plan everything. Good luck!