Monday, June 23, 2008

Bikram Yoga

I've heard about Bikram Yoga for a few months now from both my sister Noel, who is an avid Bikram Yoga fan and from Brooke, a fellow blogger who, I believe, teaches it too. I have wanted to give it a try for awhile now as a recovery workout regime. But, haven't had the time to do it. Now that summer is here, I have the time and I think I even have a partner in crime. My new friend, Lisa, said she wants to go with me in the future and I think I'm going to go with her to a few spinning classes as well. I'm excited about it.

The Bikram Yoga center is about 40 mintues from my house and sort of outside the city...what a trek to get there! I think I'm going to bring a book or listen to a book from now on. That's almost like two hours wasted in traffic! Yes, I like to people watch, but I'm also the sort of personality that has to feel like my time is being productive with my time.

Apparently, this Bikram Yoga class is a beginners class with 26 different postures and two breathing exercises. The stretches are meant to strengthen muscles and ligaments in your body, especially joints that are needed for good posture. Because you are in a hot, steamy room it also stimulates organs, glands and nerves to move fresh oxygenated blood to your body in an effort to restore defective parts of the body.

The instructor said I should focus on just staying in the class for the full 90 minutes and make that my goal the first few times. After that, I'll be able to concentrate on the postures/moves, because they are the same in every class.

I have to admit -- at first glance, it's hard to believe it actually forms your body but the 90 minute workout was awesome! I sweat so much (which is the point) and it felt great. There were a few I couldn't do. It was tough. But I think I'm going to like this. I can definitely afford their first deal which is 10 straight days of Bikram Yoga for the equivalent of about $12. I can come more than once a day if I want to (not that I will) but that's cool. Anyways, I think it's a great set up and a great program to get me kick-started on this.

Thanks Noel and Brooke. I might be blogging more about this recovery workout in the future.

6 comments:

akshaye said...

A few people I know have said good things about it too. Nice deal for the classes.

Brooke Myers said...

You finally got the chance to experience this style of yoga...way to go....
I do not actually teach Bikram, but it was however my first introduction into yoga.
For many this style is quite challenging, way to stick it through and it sounds as if you will be back for more....

Keep us posted on more of your yoga experience and if you have any questions feel free to ask...

S said...

Ironically, I just read about Bikram today. I read about the actual man and his philosophy and some of the things behind the practice but I thought it was funny to read this on the same day. I've only tried one Bikram class before many years ago and I didn't make it the whole class. But after reading today and practice other yoga, I kind of want to try again...I'm nervous though, last time I thought I was going to pass out and die....I'll let you know if I actually go through with it. Ha!
Congrats on sticking through a VERY sweaty 90 mins.

Meg said...

Good to hear a positive review! I have a friend that has been trying to make me go to Bikram but I've been scared!

No(dot dot)el said...

to me it is heaven on earth, warm room, streching til i feel like gumby, and sweating so much that you know it's got to be doing something. i am so happy to hear you like and when you are home for x-mas we will be going, so keep it up!!

Jen in Budapest said...

I honestly thought it was tough, some of the moves, but I agree. All that sweat must be good for something! It was great, and I highly recommend it. I'll be going for 10 days now on my lil' 10 day pass.