Thursday, June 26, 2008

Who is Barak Obama?

I recently received an email from a Christian discounting Barak Obama as a legitimate candidate for President of the United States. He had his reasons and I can respect his choice because we live in a free country (thank God) and we can vote for who we want to vote for and we should vote informed.

In my opinion, although the President of the U.S. is notably the most visible and holds very distinct powers within the three branches of government, I would have to say in many ways he is a figurehead. Of course he holds a unique place as one who can spur the other branches of government in a particular direction and holds the ultimate veto power, can declare war, and do other things that are quite powerful. But I'm a romantic and I believe that even the President should hold a sense of purpose as a civil servant. He should hold quite a bit of inspirational power and in times of crisis, should be a man who can bring the country together to do what needs to be done.

For me, I appreciate the following You Tube clips because they allow me to hear from and know more about this man who might become our next President. So far, I like what I see......much more than what I see and hear of Hilary. I think I'm just tired of the Clintons period. Barak's perspective and real experience on social justice is refreshing which is something desperately needed within the US. I'd love to see our larger cities and the people who gravitate to them be able to raise their standard of living, especially marginalized people.

It's funny but being overseas has created a desire within me to return to the U.S. and be someone who gets involved in the community. Not politics, but in some type of way. I don't know.

I also appreciate Barak's perspective on bridging the gap between faith and politics. In the clips from his 2006 speech below (the last 5 clips), He doesn't shy away from declaring the benefits of faith in community and He also makes it clear that his perspective and grid of understanding includes a personal faith. He's intelligent (was the president of the Harvard Law Review) and can hold his own in conversations. I think that's important and I like him.

I also think that his capacity and ability to represent the US on a global level is possible. He is quite multi-cultural but I was originally concerned as he doesn't have a lot of experience internationally. However, I do think he is capable of growing into that role. We are an international world and I firmly believe our next President needs to know how to communicate on an international level. Globalism is real and it's not going anywhere anytime soon. So, whoever our next President is he must also be able to bridge that gap.

You may be tired of watching Presidential candidate coverage clips, but here in Budapest, I get nothing. So I truly appreciate You Tube. Here's what I've been watching. The first five clips are about his life and the last five are from a speech he gave in June 2006 on faith and politics. There are more clips on you tube as well but I think this is a good start. :D









3 comments:

Ben G said...

I'm with you!!! I've been on the Obama bandwagon since he gave his famous convention speech in 2004 and I've never looked back.

Jen in Budapest said...

Nice...I'll keep checking in on him but I think I'm strongly leaning toward him for Prez.

No(dot dot)el said...

obama is going to win, wait and see, mark my words it will happen. i got to hear him speak in person with christene, didn't know what to think but all i can say is that after that i knew he would win. never waivered despite hillary's attempts to steal his moment. i will have to watch the you tube later but i am glad you are liking him. so exciting.