Thursday, June 19, 2008

Impractical pool time.

Tonight I ran 3 miles, keeping my splits close to race pace. It was hot but the trail I ran today was the same one I ran yesterday 5 miles in the rain and it's beautiful. Surrounded by green trees, there were butterflies, lizards, wildflowers lots of sunshine and lots of rocky earth. I chose not to look at a few piles of dump and trash that were left in a few inconspicuous places. I guess that's everywhere but what a bummer! I started to get really hot into the second mile and tried to run closest to the shady trees. It helped! I did choose a warm time to run, but it was the only time I had. Early mornings aren't an option when kid sitting. :D

I returned to Matt and Christy's (all the while thankful that Andrea was watching the Rasch kids) and went to their back yard where I have wanted to get a real lap swim in because they have a beautiful pool. After doing one lap which only took 5 strokes before I hit the wall, I realized the pool is definitely too small. I stayed in for about 15 minutes and focused on the arms but it just felt like a completely impractical swim training time. I have lots of work ahead of me the next two weeks before I start tapering off for race week. I can hardly believe it's almost here!
-----------
Today went fairly well being a nanny. The kids are doing great considering mom and dad have been gone a total of 5 days tomorrow. That's a long stretch for a 5,3, and 2 year old. Once again, all I have to say is THANK GOD for Andrea. She is this amazing, beautiful Hungarian woman who has raised her own kids and now her full time job is to babysit for international families in Budapest.

Tonight after the kids were asleep she stayed and we talked for almost two hours about life in Hungary during Communist times. She has some amazing stories about her family! It's hard to believe that 18 years ago things looked so completely different here! I think I run into it or get glimpses of the differences when I'm talking to people because of their mindsets or their viewpoints on life or when I'm looking for good customer service and get sorely disappointed. Otherwise, for the most part, Budapest feels quite modern.

Andrea and I talked a lot! I encouraged her about her teenage daughter whose giving her a hard time. We talked about having faith in God and how good it is to trust Him with life. We talked about how everyone in the world has problems of various kinds but there is something so amazing to know that the God of the Universe longs to walk you through every problem and give you perspective on problems and on life. I shared some stories with her about my parents, myself and the way I've seen God work in my own life. She shared some stories from her life too. It was great!

She comes again tomorrow morning to help. All I have to say is 'we're on the home stretch!' woo hoo!!

2 comments:

akshaye said...

Nice run.. and yeah, swimming in a small pool can be pretty pointless!

Jen in Budapest said...

Akshaye - I sure learned that one pretty quick. Talk about pointless! My, how much I've changed from all this training!