Monday, January 14, 2008

Dirty streets....

Maybe the nostalgia is rubbing off or maybe you just see more when you're walking.... I don't know, but the streets just seem dirtier and smellier coming back this time. My normal M.O. is positivity to the core. But this issue is beginning to bother me. I've been quite positive about it (mostly) over the past year and a half. Now, I could spend a whole day cleaning up my neighborhood, picking up stuff. A few times in utter frusration I have picked up stuff and put it in the trash in a flustered motion of angst when something is right in front of the main walking area and people just step around it. I just figure, come on people. Don't you see it? But oblivious, they don't.

Budapest truly is a beautiful city. Most of the people have little, but what they do have could be kept nice, right? I have to walk by one of the main post offices every day and since Christmas break, the wall has been destroyed by graffiti. There's this 150 year old building and it would take a lot to repaint the whole thing. So, they blocked it off and are chipping away at the concrete to get the graffiti off. It looks like WWII.

Outside of the touristy areas, the streets are just plain old dirty. My brother says if you've seen one dirty European city, you've seen them all. Maybe it's true. But I don't remember Germany or Austria being this dirty.

Anyways, when I was home over Christmas, I walked around Carson and got my little brother to join me. I tried running a few times but the altitude really affected my lungs. I'm learning now that has to do with red blood cells. Interesting. Anyways, streets are much cleaner and definitely don't smell. Mostly, people pick up their doggy-doo doo too, so that's nice.

Europe is quite cramped compared to the wide open spaces of the USA. Maybe that's why we have so many big places like Walmart and stuff. Some Americans think that its beneath them to shop at Walmart. Who are these people? They are not my friends. All I have to say about that is come to Europe and then go home and go to Walmart and God bless America....every time I'm in a Walmart I say it. Every time I come home, I religiously make trips to Walmart.

No comments: