Thursday, January 24, 2008

Renovation of the Heart, by Dallas Willard



This is my second time reading through the book. Willard talks about how our thoughts, feelings, choices, body, social context = all forming the "soul" - can be re-formed as our ally to Christlikeness, cooperating with God's purposes. Hmmm. I like that. He talks about these things in detail and exhorts to go after a "well-kept" heart. I think this will always be the journey of a lifetime, where some days are better than others but the pursuit continues. Maybe that's the difference between a life well lived and just "livin' life."

"Those with a well kept heart are persons who are prepared for and capable of responding to the situations of life in ways that are good and right. Their will functions as it should, to choose what is good and avoid what is evil and the other components of their nature cooperate to that end. They need not be "perfect"; but what all people manage in at least a few times and areas of life, they manage in life as a whole."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like an interesting and thought provoking read. I currently have "The Shack" on my nightstand waiting to be read. I hear it is a life changing book.

Jen in Budapest said...

It's a great book...highly recommended. Interesting. I'll have to check into the Shack.