Sunday, January 27, 2008

I will Tri


Palms sweaty. Heart racing. What have I got myself into? As I start to envision race day, I get excited and nervous at the same time. Stories of what people go through during transition time are humorous and intimidating. I have five months to get used to the idea and keep training.

You don't really get a chance to see the race site beforehand and I'm notorious for searching out a place to feel a bit comfortable in my surroundings -- checking things out to get in the groove. I can see how you have to be mentally strong. Lord, help me.

Then I don't have a wet suit yet or a tri suit. Do I need one? Back and forth people have opinions. I think I'll be ordering a trisuit and have it brought over with the team that comes in March.

I don't even have a bike to call my own.....this is another dilemma. My bike was stolen last spring and since then I've been using a friends. How reasonable and feasible is it for me to build out a bike here in Budapest or buy a semi-cheap bike and re-sell it down the road? Lots of things involved in this thing called Tri and most of them involve money.

I'm reading "Endurance Sports Nutrition" and realizing how important it will be on race day to be stocked with sports drinks and gels and I want to have the right stuff. Never used sports drinks, liquids, gels....But I guess this is the fastest and most reliable way to get your sugar levels right when you're competing.

This week Laura will take me to the Decathlon store outside of Budapest to look around. I'm excited to see what they've got. It's fun. It's exciting. It's a bit scary but I WILL TRI in 08!!

2 comments:

Yellowgiraffe said...

hey jen... all the best for your races. i am really envious and inspired... i don't think i'd be ready to do a race this year. think i better continue to rehab my knee better and as i train better altogether.

thanks for dropping by my blog earlier which led me to read your interesting and inspiring blog. your story about the 3 fruits and how you thought about God is very interesting.... even for someone who has drifted so far away from God.

thanks very much.

Jen in Budapest said...

Oh well thank you for the encouragement. I would love to hear your story....Why are you not competing for now?

I'm glad you liked the story. I like to tell them. I need inspiration in my own life and I find it in the most uncommon places. ;0)