Saturday, January 26, 2008

Rudy - the fighting Irish



Tonight I just wanted to relax and I've had my eye on "Rudy" for awhile. But Noemi asked if I'd meet her,her sister and a family friend for coffee around 8 pm. I had a birthday gift for Noemi so I thought I'd just stay for an hour. I met her Syrian friend and her sister Kinga.

When I got home I pulled out the movie and this time went straight to the special features. I was hoping they'd have the "real story" because I love true stories. I don't know what it is but I get teary-eyed every time I watch this movie and this time even watching special features. It's classic American dreaming and one of my favorites.

The power of a dream. The power of hope against all hope. Ahh, I love it.

I found a page that has a ton of quotes and dialogue from the movie. Thought I'd share cuz their just great.

Steele: Rudy,are you ready for this, champ?
Rudy: I've been ready for this my whole life!
Steele: Then you take us out on the field. (This is when I get choked up...Ok, one of many times when I do.)

Fortune: You're 5 foot nothin', 100 and nothin', and you have barely a speck of athletic ability. And you hung in there with the best college football players in the land for 2 years. And you're gonna walk outta here with a degree from the University of Notre Dame. In this life, you don't have to prove nothin' to nobody but yourself. Am I making myself clear?

Father Cavanaugh: Son, in 35 years of religious study, I have only come up with two hard incontrovertible facts: there is a God, and I'm not Him. (Love that line!! So true.)

Rudy: We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. We're gonna get 'em on the run boys and once we get 'em on the run we're gonna keep 'em on the run. And then we're gonna go go go go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goal line. This is a team they say is... is good, well I think we're better than them. They can't lick us, so what do you say men?

Rudy: You're the only one who ever took me seriously, Pete.
Pete: Well, you know what my dad always said, Having dreams is what makes life tolerable.

D-Bob: What's a lapsed Catholic to do?

Rudy: I'm sorry I never got to see your first game in here.
Fortune: Hell I've seen too many games in this Stadium.
Rudy: I thought you said you never saw a game...
Fortune: I've never seen a game from the stands.
Rudy: You were a player?
Fortune: I rode the Bench for two years thought I wasn't being played because of my color I got filled up with alot of attidue so I quit, still not a week goes by I don't regret it, and I guarantee a week won't go by in your life you won't regret walking out letting them get the best of you. Do you hear me clear enough?

Rudy: I'm here to play football for the Irish!
Fortune: Coach Parseghian know about it?
Rudy: No... not yet.
Fortune: Well maybe you best tell him first...

Rudy:
Father C: How long have you thought about this decision?
Rudy: For as long as I can remember. I used to watch....
Father C: Have you taken the proper steps, investigated the process?
Rudy: Yes, I have more to learn, but...
Father C: Are you fully aware of the sacrifices you'll have to make?
Rudy: I am. I'll do whatever it takes.
Father C: What brought you here today?
Rudy: I just came from my best friend's funeral. He said that...
Father C: Of course.
Rudy: What do you mean of course?
Father C: Son, it's very common for people who are suffering a crisis to seek escape into the cloth. We usually recommend a greiving or a cooling off period....
Rudy: Escape into the cloth?
Father C: That's just an expression that we use to describe people who are running away from emotional or psychological pain by choosing priesthood.
Rudy: You think I want to become a priest?
Father C: Dont you?
Rudy: Nothing against being a priest father, but I don't think it's for me.
Father C: Why are you here?
Rudy: I want to go to school at Notre Dame.


Rudy: Ever since I was a kid, I wanted to go to school here. And ever since I was a kid everyone said it couldn't be done. My whole life people have been telling me what I could do and couldn't do. I've always listened to them, believed in what they said. I don't want to do that anymore.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Rudy! Definitely one of my favorite movies.

Jen in Budapest said...

Yes, it's a classic.