Saturday, January 19, 2008

training jump start

I'm slowly plodding through "Endurance Sports Nutrition". It's a good book and I like her general approach to nutrition. Basically, it's all about remembering to drink fluids and fuel before, during (long workouts) and after training as well as on normal days. I also like her mentality on food and that foods are not good or bad. I easily fall into that trap but years ago remember reading that foods aren't good or bad and thinking "that's good..." Yeah, it's also biblical. Anyways, the thought that you shouldn't deprive yourself of the things you love but just use moderation - is a life long goal and I love it.....she calls those things that I love "extras." She breaks down everything though I'm not so interested in some of the charts and details. So, I'm about 1/3 of the way through.

Juicing it during the day this week has been a good jump start to train again. I ended up changing it up a bit and ate light meals in the evening. But I was much more aware of what I was eating and felt the energy from the drinks I chose. My favorite home-made juice is this interesting concoction of carrots, tomatoes, slice of lemon and clove of garlic. It's kind of potent but delishious. If you've never juiced, it's great. I remember my dad talking about it like it was the best thing since sliced bread and now I know why. Some drinks just taste amazing freshly ground.

Biking in the rain today was a bit of an adventure. It turned into a light drizzle and I was thankful for that. I biked along the Danube and into a neighborhood where I might be living. So, it wasn't an intense ride, but it was good to get out again after being away for a few months. It was an hour and 15 minutes and then I did 15 minutes pilates.

Eszter and Nori came over last night and Eszter wants to do the Pilates dvd with me. I'm excited about that. She is also going to come over this week to paint the "coffee" piece for the kitchen. Thanks for keeping her in your prayers. Since I first arrived in 2006 it's been my hope and dream to see Hungarian women come to know the love and power of the Savior and slowly it's happening. She's open and listening, so that's great.

Two promises this week:

1. Ezekial 47 - basically the life of God causes things to flourish and grow....people, places, things.

2. Acts 16:14 - "as she listened, she opened her heart." when you speak life people listen (most of the time) and it can change things - opening hearts to God's purpose.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a good book. MAybe I'll look that one up. I have a Borders gift card, now I know something that I might be able to use it on. ;)

Cliff said...

For my diet, I give myself freebie on food. For example, 80% of what i eat will be 'diet' and the 20% I can eat anything I want.

This equates to two free meals a week. This works quite well for me.

Your concoction is very good. must be full of antioxidants and vitamins. I am pretty lazy myself :). I tend to eat veges instead of taking the time to juice them.

Great to hear that the Lord has been working through the women in Hungarian.

Matty C. said...

I have great intentions of eating healthy and working out so I get into better shape. But in all reality, I usually end up working out so I can eat what I want. But it works for me. At least right now. Keep on bikin'.

Kewl Nitrox said...

It's important to read up on nutrition and training plans. For a laid-back recreational triathlete like me, it is also important sometimes not to worry too much and "go with the flow".

My excuse for going for the occasional burger and beer is that I am only training for O.D. and below. :-)

Jen in Budapest said...

Lisa, Using a Borders gift card would not be a problem for me. Yes, I definitely recommend the book, although I haven't finished it.

Cliff, I'm not the best with percentages on these things but I'm also a newbie. I'm going to try and just monitor my "extras". We'll see how it goes.

Matty - absolutely agree on that one...I love good food and lots of it, so I have to make myself get out there and exercise. On the other hand, I'm enjoying learning about nutrition cuz' I've never really taken the time to learn about it. I hope to tie it all together. We'll see....and yes, I love the biking. For now, I'm using my friends bike and I have to come up with a plan for a bike in the next month. Lots of thoughts on that, but in the meantime, I'm enjoying biking in a beautiful European city along their plethora of bike paths.

Kewl - I'm definitely with you on being recreational tri and not sweating the small stuff, for sure. I'm also a newbie and nott sure what OD means...overdrive?