Wednesday, January 16, 2008

"I have graven thee..."


Old english aside, this devotional from Charles Spurgeon is encouraging. My God knows me. He hasn't forgotten. He's not late.

graven - engrave - an inscription or image on a surface.

"I have graven thee. See the fulness of this! I have graven thy person, thine image, thy case, thy circumstances, thy sins, thy temptations, thy weaknesses, thy wants, thy works; I have graven thee, everything about thee, all that concerns thee; I have put thee altogether there; will you ever say again that your God has forsaken you when he has graven you on His own palm?"


Wow, God. He must have really big palms. And God believes in tattoos! I know a lot of people who would be happy about that....if he's engraved us on his palm, that's an inscription and an image. Is this the biblical justification for tattoos? (not that you need one...just asking.)

Then my mind goes to a song we sang in elementary school at St. Teresa's
"He's got the whole world in His hands...."

Sometimes I just don't care about the whole world. I just want to know...does He have me in His hands? I'd have to say He does, even when I doubt it sometimes.

Oh, and another thought. I don't know the specifics but isn't it amazing to think that the world is spinning at super light speed, yet we can walk around, eat, talk, do stuff and not get dizzy? That's amazing to me. If God had a bad day and the spin cycle got broken, all our wall hangings and things that sit so nicely on top of dressers would be off kilter, not to mention we couldn't get around.

I'm glad God doesn't have bad days. I'm glad I'm tattooed on His hand.

No comments: