Sunday, January 20, 2008

women of the wild, wild west

A lot of the women of the wild west were quite admirable. I think I would have survived as a woman taking the covered wagon trail to the wild west. Of course I'll never know but women had to be SO strong, not just physically but mentally and emotionally. Most people associate strength with a man's abilities. But there's a different kind of strength women can have too and these women really shine.

What provoked these thoughts? Janette Oke wrote a best-selling Novel called “Love Comes Softly” with sequels. They made a dvd series and this Christmas, to my surprise, I found it at Walmart by accident! I bought the series and a few nights ago I watched the last one...It brought me to tears. Yes, I know...A bit cheesy but true. For those interested, there were three DVD's - Love comes softly, Love’s enduring Promise and Love’s Long Journey.

Some would watch it and laugh, mocking the Christian overtones but I absolutely LOVE it. And I think it's genuine. A few nights ago while watching the final “Love’s Long Journey”, I realized that being a woman and being strong are a beautiful combination, especially when you live in the wild west where cowboys and Indians don’t mess around.

The women literally built a home out of nothing. Most of them had to help with farming or other things, and they didn’t seem to think twice about getting their hands dirty to get stuff done. Indians were quite an interesting phenom. Cowboys didn't understand their culture. And then you had bandits and prostitutes and rough winters. Anyways....

I have to be honest. I'm so thankful for the men in my life who have been a great example of manly strength....when it really counts their character shines through to lead, protect, provide. And I'm thankful for the women who have demonstrated this healthy strength, not twisted into a modern femininity that strips women of the pure joy of having strong men in their life....

Healthy, genuine womanhood also contains a bit of life-giving strength. The women who came west were pretty amazing if you think about it. There are many unsung women heroes who helped build the west into what it is today.

I guess I've got a bit of Wild West Nostalgia while watching these dvd's. I fully warn you it's a bit like Little House on the Prairie but good stuff. Let the world laugh. I love it.

2 comments:

laura said...

I have Love's Enduring Promise... but I haven't watched it yet. I will for sure now. Maybe I should watch the first one before that one though.
We definitely have struggles in todays world, but I often think about how blessed I am to live in this time. People had it so rough, seriously, WALKING across the US for land. NO THANK YOU! Helps keep the complaining down and appreciate the comforts we have.

Jen in Budapest said...

I would suggest watching them in order. They build on eachother and they're great. And seriously, it is amazing to think of all they did.