Tuesday, January 15, 2008

So my friend's writing a book....

My good friend, Lara, is writing a book for women based on stories and experiences from her life. I'm amazed that she's really going after it. Later this month she's going to a writer's seminar in Redding at Bill Johnson's church. I never heard of his church, but I guess it's well known.

Anyways, she is actively going after this and thinks she found a manager, perhaps a publisher too. She's getting the book edited now. I've always wanted to write a book. I started a kids series years back and someday I will finish them. I also started a book on relationships and re-visited what I wrote almost 10 years ago and wow....I've changed a lot. Not so preachy on it all now...Anyways, I love to write. I really love to write! I think before I pass on in this world, I will write a book or two.

Lara let me read a few of the chapters and it's good stuff. We have been talking about women's issues and this whole thing of beauty and how the world has distorted that and we got to talking about this girl, Susan, I knew in college who was SOO beautiful but not because of her external features. She had a beautiful soul but her body was mangled. She was a quadriplegic.

Susan's story was that her mom didn't want her and tried to self-abort. I know that's graphic, but it's her life story. This girl overcame amazing obstacles to even be in college. I met Susan my junior year in college because she needed my help and I was a resident advisor who happened to walk by. I will never forget the things God taught me through that friendship. Her life absolutely inspires me to this day. I was amazed at how many things Susan had managed to coordinate to stay in college. Not only did Susan have a normal load of college courses, but she to figure out who would help her with everything. And when I mean everything I mean everything that you and I take for granted from showers, bathroom breaks, homework, eating and all the in betweens of life.

It was during this time in my life that God began to speak to me about what we value and why we value it. Hmmmmm. God looks at the heart. He also helped me see through Susan the power of pursuing your dreams. Susan had a dream to get her degree and to be one who shares Christ with others. She definitely accomplished both. Not having known Susan before meeting at the elevator, I'm ashamed to say that I made quite a few assumptions about her all based on how she looked with my natural eye. And I was a bit afraid of her...cordial, but afraid. As I spent time with her and got to know her character, I realized she was quite a determined girl with an absolute heart of gold. Her life preached Christ to me and it was in those moments that she showed me, despite all obstacles, that she would not let anything hold her back. She had the power of a dream. Even though many people had killed that dream (even her mom tried to take her life) she was living it and giving God all the attention about it.

I have tried to find out where she is today but can't seem to track her down. From what someone said they thought she is living in Texas now. I really hope she is doing well....I would love to see her again somewhere somehow.

No comments: