Friday, January 25, 2008

John Mayer's "Say"



John Mayer's music, his style, his passion for what he sings about, are all things I love and enjoy. Not sure what it is but I love his stuff. Anyways, this song was posted by a news article about Heath Ledger's death. I haven't heard this song before so I was excited to find some new music from him and the message is great.

How short life is -- the moments we truly have each day -- and that it's better to say too much than to never have the chance to say it again.

This music video for "Say" looks like it's for a recent movie. I haven't seen it and don't know which movie this is, but I'd love to see it sometime.....so if anyone knows which movie, let me know.

This topic of life and death.....and this song. Reminds me of my grandma. Two weeks before she passed away, I was home visiting from LA. I was lying on the bed next to her, holding her wrinkled and well-lived hand. Her favorite scripture was Psalm 23 and even though she had alzeimer's, her eyes lit up as I reminded her that God was our shepherd. I told her how beautiful she was to me and felt the old wrinkles in her hand. It was a moment. None of us knew when she would go. Two weeks later, the call came and she had died peacefully in her sleep. Coming back for the funeral, I cried tears of joy because every time I was near her I didn't hold back. I made sure to hold her hand, to sit with her, to look at her and take in all the memories I had from being a kid and playing, eating, loving at Grandma's house. I will forever be thankful for that moment in time and for "saying what I needed to say". She loved God and is no doubt having a blast with God today and I'm so thankful for that moment. I get choked up thinking about it now.

1 comment:

No(dot dot)el said...

the movie is the bucket list- mom and dad went to go see it. i think it looks funny but mom didn't like it, i think mostly cause she doesn't feel like she is in that group at all. she was offended by the title, wonder what dad thought about it, he hasn't talked to me since i registered demorcrat :)
thanks for making me cry jen- appreciate that. no just kiddin, any mention of gram the great is a good one, what a beautiful person she was. i love you. there- i said what i needed to say.