Sunday, January 20, 2008

surprisingly great run


I wasn't sure if I'd get the chance to workout today. But i have to say that today was a big hit. After church I had a bunch of people over for lunch. I made chicken and rice, mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli. The potatoes were the BEST. I love cooking for other people and most people like eating what I cook, so it works out great. Peter, Csoba, Nori, Eszter, Ela and Lisa came over and afterwards we watched Italian Job on my friends big tv. LOVE that movie. I don't know why since it's all about thievery. I think it's the "Napster" comments, the adrenaline-pumping suspense and really just the mini-coopers.

Afterwards, Peter, Nori and Eszter invited me to join them at Peter's new workplace "IMAX theatres". It's this movie theater that actually has a really cool VIP section where you pay a little extra and get all you can eat food while you wait for the movie. Then, you enjoy the film with a handful of people - like 40 people in one VIP room. So, you can rent it out for birthdays, special events. It's really a great idea. Anyways, we got there and realized they were all sold out but in the meantime, Peter's main boss from Israel wanted to talk to him. When we reunited with Peter, we found out he's been promoted to the Deputy manager over the coffee bar and VIP section. A big promotion with better pay and longer hours. He's great with people and a really hard worker. It stinks though because there are few labor laws here and it's absolutely terrible how they treat their employees - 14, 15 even 17 hour work days...Can you imagine? Anyways, we went to this really cool Indian teashop (Peter's a nut for Indian culture) and celebrated his promotion with this hot chocolate...(they bring you a steamed milk and then you put this cube of chocolate on a stick and mix it around.....) Oh, my is it delicious!

All that to say I didn't get home until later than expected. I debated whether I should go for a run but the weather was absolutely clear and wonderful so I had no excuse.

I ended up running for an hour behind Hero's Square and it was great! Honestly, I think it has to do with the way I've been eating healthier. Not sure, but the whole thing is interesting. The run was good through the park, except for the smelly streets. Yuck. But it's this amazing park with a castle, one of the largest ice skating rinks in Europe and an amusement park with zoo. I look over at the castle and realize once again "pinch me...I live here."

So yeah.. An hour!! That's like unheard of for me. I wasn't really out of breath or dying, although half-way through I did have to find a bathroom. Working my way up to this amount of time has been an ongoing but steady journey for me..... I have to step up the training and so an hour run is like....miraculous and I hope it continues.

3 comments:

laura said...

I have to say that chocolate drink sounds delicious! I am a chocolate freak to say the least. I love hearing about the scenery there... very cool :)

Unknown said...

The Endurance Sports Nutrition sounds intriguing. I have been trying to work on that lately, but it's far from being scientifically sound. Nice job on the hour run!

Jen in Budapest said...

Laura, you would LOVE this hot chocolate, then. It's genuine, pure Belgian chocolate and so delicious. What a treat!

Rob, that's amazing that you are encouraging me on my lousy little hour when you run ultra long distances. God bless your wife!!