Thursday, January 31, 2008

Whose your daddy?


Here are my unrelated thoughts.
First, New England Patriots are going to win the Super Bowl because this is the year for all things Mass. Now that I got that off my chest, I can continue with my real story....;)

I love this picture! But for me, I need to take it past the football analogy. Sorry guys, I'm a girl and here are my unrelated and random thoughts. I'm getting off the football train now and I want to focus on the quote.

"Whose your daddy?" or "Never forget who your daddy is." The quote has been used for lots of things but for me it holds much greater implications.

Where do I start?

Yes, I'm a believer and in being one I've had the joy of being a daughter. John Mayer sings, "Fathers be good to your daughters" and the reality is that every daughter feels legitimate when her father is good to her, when He treats her as she was meant to be treated by a man. Fathers set the standard for what their daughters believe is possible in good men. I've also heard that every boy becomes a man when he hears the words of his father saying he is a man and calling Him into the greatness of being a man. I like that.

My dad and mom are still married after 37 years. My dad is a good man. I really want to give him honor and credit because as a father, he worked hard for our big family and I've always respected that about him. He was funny, intelligent, a bit of a sarcastic bite in his humor but I think he always tried to treat his kids the best he knew how with what he had.

When I became a Christ-follower, I was introduced to God as a Father and I must say that something was completed in my soul as a daughter. I believe I'm a better daughter to my dad now too. Because God has been and is a good father. His consistent character and nature towards me constantly overshadow the doubts that plague my mind of an unloving, uncaring God. In this very personal and intimate father/daughter relationship, He has surprised me with things even when I felt I didn't deserve it. He has always been my greatest encourager and He calls the best out of me every day. Simply put, no one can rival God's fathering capacity in our lives.

When I think back on all the things I've seen and lived through, I'm reminded.
How many miracles I've seen, how many sunsets and sunrises were painted by His hand for personal enjoyment, how many times He was the only one there to lift my head and bring me out of the pit.

He has proven His unconditional love to me again and again.

So this quote stood out to me. "Never forget...."

There have been a few areas in my life where I do forget. I quickly exchange my confidence in His track record for what I'm experiencing or feeling in the moment. And this is no way to live. Or sometimes I get busy living life and I lose sight of my dad. I forget that I'm never too big to sit on His lap and let Him love me. I'm never too big to tell Him what I'm thinking and what I need. After all, He's my daddy.
He's got good things ahead. Never forget it.

Matthew 7:11
If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in Heaven give good things to them that ask him?

2 comments:

~Robyn~ said...

I love this! Whenever I go home to visit my family now I always sit on my dad's lap as often as I can...I'm his baby girl (youngest girl) and I think he loves when I just go sit on his lap and have that quick father/daughter connection..even if it is only 10 seconds until I start hurting his legs....hahaha

Jen in Budapest said...

that's cool Robyn...and funny too....