Monday, January 28, 2008

Inspiring Friendships


This morning I got an unexpected and very welcomed call from my friend Andrea in Texas. Actually, it's the second time this week and I'm loving it!! We were roommates in Los Angeles at one time. Now, Andrea is married to an amazing man, has two boys and a third in the oven. Andrea is one of those women who brings out the best in you whether it's spiritually, emotionally, athletically. I always get inspired by her at some level. Even when she has bad days, she's amazing. Not because she hides things (because she doesn't) but because she's genuine about her struggles and this journey called life.

After we got off the phone, I started thinking about Andrea and her life. Seasons have changed. We used to have crazy fun driving around LA, working out and taking classes together at Fuller as singles preparing for campus ministry. Then there was a season when I was at UNR and she was at U of A when I would call her for needed inspiration on how to minister to athletes....

Andrea inspired me then and she inspires me now. Today she's working for the IRS, raising two young boys, and helping her husband get his musical career off the ground. (Eric sings with Kirk Franklin but he's starting an amazing thing called "Resonate". Just a little plug for him -- here's his my space page -- Add him as a friend and tell him I sent ya!! http://www.myspace.com/ericmooreandresonate) This is what makes me smile most, though!! On her work breaks at the IRS she does workout sets on the stairs to stay fit throughout the day. (This former division-1 volleyball player still has it in her!!)

Atleast for now, Andrea and Eric are no longer in "vocational" ministry - where ministry is their "job." She's working for the IRS. But I can guarantee that people are being influenced by her and loved on as she is herself. She shared a story to that end just this morning.

If you have these kind of friends in your life, you are well aware that people come into your life for a reason. And in my book, in most cases, these are lifetime friendships. At least that's the case with Andrea.

I might be stepping on toes but I have to say this too. It's been a great shift for me in thinking about my own life and the life of my friends who were once in vocational ministry but are now mixing it up in the "real world." We are all called to be ministers. Some of us believe that more than others. The real test comes when you're in the middle of doing life.....and realize God has called you a royal priesthood, a holy nation....wherever you are. Sometimes it's about seasons ....like for a season it's your actual job to minister and other seasons it's not....but nonetheless, when friends like Andrea go through this shift from vocational to life ministry, it's a great reminder to check your perspective on all of this. We are all called. Yep

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Jen, thanx for that. It is so nice when God gives you sweet lil "gifts" throughout the "journey of life" called friendships. Friends that you can laugh with, cry with, and encourage one another. Wow...I am so blessed to know you and be able to walk life out with you!!!!

Oh...and you sure did earn your $10 by writing such nice things about me........:)
But, can I have my change please.....

Love ya friend!!!!
~Andrea

Jen in Budapest said...

Andrea...woo hoo!! ARe you going to start a blogspot? How can I get you to jump on this train with me???

He he he...I'm keepin' the change cuz' I might write more in the future...Love ya...Jen