Saturday, January 12, 2008

The World Debate - BBC News

A little jet lagged and sleep deprived, today and tomorrow I have to move my stuff to a friends house for a month before moving into another flat in February. I did a lot before I left for the states, but now it's the last few loads and cleaning the old flat. In between walking my stuff over to my friends house, jet lag got the best of me and I sat down to watch a little tv. BBC world was hosting "The World Debate" discussing education and the internet.

One of the key comments made in this debate is that all over the world, there is a desire and need for students to learn critical thinking, creativity and not just learn the facts. Teachers have a unique responsibility to help not only bring history and facts but help young people think critically. It was a challenge for me but I thoroughly enjoyed doing that in Budapest last year. The older students took part in "debates" on topics that would be on their final english exams. Students enjoyed it and it made the classroom setting fun.

We are living in a changing world, that's for sure. Over the holidays, I helped my mom type a bunch of things she was working on to get her Montessori license. Miss Montessori was an Italian woman who revolutionized education through her interactive style of teaching and learning. I found it interesting.

I think there are unique opportunities for education when it comes to the internet as well as video games. This is the time when the older generations have to reconsider all things education to embrace the advancing of technology. What an interesting challenge it will be!

No comments: