Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Roommate conversations



So my old roommate loves her new place in Ujipest. I affectionately call Anna "village girl" because she went and lived in a Hungarian community for a few weeks to learn the language during her holiday. That's dedication.

Just before Christmas we went to eat at an Indian Restaurant in Budapest and had a great time. She was a great roommate! One of the best. Last night I was missing our conversations and the laughs that usually accompany our talks so I called her. She wasn't doing anything.

We ended up talking about some things that I've been musing over for awhile now. We were talking about making decisions and God's will. How much of what we decide is our decision and how much of it is God's will. It's quite a deep topic and I wonder who has figured it all out.

The thing that stood out to me is something she came across when she was looking at the word "decision" and it's meaning in greek or hebrew or latin or something. Basically, the word means "to cut off". When you decide something you are cutting off other options. When I decided to turn my heart to Christ, I cut off the old life. When I decided certain things along the way of my life, I cut off other things. And then we asked the question -- can you live with your decisions?

In the light of a lifetime and eternity, I'm looking at this thing called God's will and my decision. I'm trying to make sense of it. Comments, thoughts, observations and experiences are welcomed. I'd love to hear your musings.

3 comments:

laura said...

I love pondering this one... This is what I have come up with. If I am trying my best to be prayerfully obedient, and I make a decision that is out of God's will... he will eventually "decide" for me and cut me off from that decision. So I try to prayerfully make my decisions, still knowing and allowing God to be the ultimate "decider". Hope that makes sense!

No(dot dot)el said...

wow, this is a good one. i think making decisions is hard. i don't come by decisiveness naturally so when it comes to making big ones i would like to give credit or glory or whatever you want to call it to God leading me and guiding me but then when it doesn't go the way you thought it would you can't exactly blame God, can you? it is a combo of things that help me make my decisions on a daily basis. living with the not so good ones is the hard part and i just hope i learn from all those so as not to repeat them. good topic jen.

Jen in Budapest said...

Laura - there's a quote from Elisabeth Elliot that I love. "Those set to do the Father's will need not fear defeat." I like that.

Noel - good stuff. I think God loves showing up in the big stuff. It's just so easy to spiritualize everything instead of living with a moral compass and trusting God, like Laura said, to set you back on course if you're off track. Good stuff guys.