Thursday, February 7, 2008

A good day


Chlorine is my new perfume. Goggle eyes and really nappy, corse hair are my new fashion statements. It hurts ----but oh well.

The workout in the pool today was a little longer. I was surprised to find as many swimming enthusiasts as I did that early in the morning. Who are these people? Next time I will try a little bit earlier because I do like the earlier workouts versus the evening ones. Sharing a lane with two other guys who were swimming quite fast helped me realize something about myself. I'm not that competitive. I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing but at this point it's nothing to worry about. I just want to survive my first sprint tri. After that, I'll think more about picking up the pace.

I had a 35 minute workout in the pool but I grabbed the wrong set of goggles and forgot my earplugs -- didn't realize it until I was "suiting up". So after the brief upset, I told myself that this is a good thing - being ready for anything. I can see how some pro athletes develop fetishes about their workout routines, but I wasn't going to let this bother me.

I'd love to hear some advice on future workouts for training on the swim. I don't know that longer is better. All the training schedules I'm looking at say that a 20-35 minute workout are good for building a sprint-tri base. But sometimes I wonder if I should push for more and work to an hour in the pool. What is a good work out time or set to do when it comes to pool time? I ended up swimming a longer distance than what is in the race, but I'm just curious about this.

One of the girls I was going to meet with tonight canceled on me -- I see a pattern here and I don't like it....so I have time for a run. I think I'll do a short run.

My meetings today were uneventful but productive. Also, it looks like we will be meeting twice a month on Sundays in the Alexandria Bookstore. This is a big change for our Every Nation team....They will publicize our topical studies and it's a great venue - non-threatening and fun. Should be interesting. I'm looking forward to it.

I spent time with Ana and Laura and we prayed for this February girls event --that it won't be "cheesy". I really don't think it will be so that's good. Later in the day, I was organizing some events for our High school English club --when the team comes from Florida. We will have the chance to be in classrooms and on the school yard talking about American culture and giving students a chance to talk with "native' english speakers. The next few months will be busy but good.

I know someday I will look back on these days with fond memories. I live in Budapest, Hungary, for crying out loud. Each day I'm here, I am going to love every minute of it.

1 comment:

akshaye said...

Enjoy your run! There is always an upside to a last minute cancellation.