Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I'm enjoying this blog

I'm enjoying this historical blog. I've posted the link in the past, but just wanted to give kudos again to it and encourage all to check it out.

http://www.theintellectualdevotional.com/blog/

historical, thought-provoking....I like it and just bought the book on CD so I'll be listening on my I-pod. I need this kind of stuff because I'm the worst at remembering details. Maybe it's a family trait - embellishing, forgetting details, mixing details up. Our family is notorious for this but I am determined to sharpen my mind and not go out with Alzheimers!!

Here's a bit from todays blog
"To review: in 1919, the United States ratified the Eighteenth Amendment to the Constitution, which prohibited the manufacture and sale of “liquors,” and passed the Volstead Act, which stated that “no person shall manufacture, sell, barter, transport, import, export, deliver, furnish or possess any intoxicating liquor except as authorized by this act.” This bit of legislative lunacy remained on the books for over a decade, giving rise to bootleggers and all the crime associated with them. The amendment and the law were finally put to rest in 1933. As President Franklin Delano Roosevelt put it after signing the Cullen-Harrison Act, which amended the Volstead Act to death, “I think this would be a good time for a beer.”

Along with crime and a horrible precedent for American law, Prohibition also gave rise to a contempt for law that hadn’t been seen since the days of the Boston Tea Party, a contempt that often took the form of jury nullifications: over half of American jurors just couldn’t bring themselves to prosecute anyone for having or serving a drink. This was a major contributing factor in the repeal of Prohibition; after a time, the government couldn’t continue to lose credibility with a law its citizenry refused to enforce. Power to the people, says The Devoted Intellectual, and bottoms up!"

No comments: