Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Oscars and Half Marathon

Quick Workout post update: Just completed a morning bike ride of 48 minutes. I wanted to run too but had to come back and get a move on the morning. Not sure how long it will take me on public to get where I need to go today. Wish me lots of the best at immigration.
--------
Of course I didn't watch the Oscars last night but heard that Bourne Ultimatum took three Oscars for sound editing and mixing. And, I heard there is a 4th Bourne coming out potentially with Matt Damon's sidekick, Ben Afflek -- with a potential setting in the amazing city of Boston, where the boys grew up. Love that city!

But I'm still amazed that the American dream is a reality for people like Matt and Ben. Before their stardom, it was the story of rising from poverty in the gritty Boston area and then making it big with their first movie together "Good Will Hunting." I love the fact that you can go from absolutely nothing. Of course, it isn't the reality for everyone, but it's definitely inspiring when it happens.

And I just realized that the Bourne movies are based on a book. I think maybe when I get back to the states I'm going to get the series. I don't normally like fiction books, but I could totally get into these. I LOVE the Bourne series movies and I heard the books have even more details. LOVE it. I also love Italian Job, though I'm not completely sure why because it's all about thieves who get their money back from a thief. I think it's the mini-coopers, and the adrenaline plotting and scheming -- plus the fact that a lot of it is filmed on the freeways of Los Angeles....which I can't say I miss but I love watching from a distance. Romance and action movies are the best! Italian Job has both -- plus the whole Napster thing is just funny.
--------------
I can't believe I'm even posting this, but Noemi and I talked yesterday about entering the Budapest Nike Half Marathon in September. Am I crazy? I hate to run but I think it will be a good challenge after the sprint triathlon in July. OK, guys. I think I'm officially going to enter this world. I was talking about it last night with Sissy (Szilvia) and Lucca and we were talking about the difference between being competitive with others and with yourself. I'm much more the type who enjoys the challenge for my own benefit. And with that, I'm going to keep getting out there and doing this. I know I haven't even done my first sprint tri -- but after watching the video of Randy last night I realized for those of us who have good health, it is absolutely something we should be thankful for, enjoy and continue to flourish in it because not everyone is physically in that place.

So I thank God this morning for my health. I thank God for things trivial too like the Bourne series and a good action series. And here's to the North Face motto: "Never stop discovering".

5 comments:

Cliff said...

I watched Bourne Ultimatum before the first two. Last night I was watchign Bourne Identity and I can't stop watching :)

"Competitive with others and with yourself" - to me, they are the same path. I tend to think of it as seeing how hard I can push myself regardless of the competition.

Getting up everyday healthy w/ no pain = God's Grace

akshaye said...

I love the Bourne movies. Btw.. there is this thing that Jimmy Kimmel and Ben Affleck did together in a response to (the now famous) Sarah Silverman-Matt Damon song. Its stupid.. but funny!

Go for the Half.. I am sure you can do it!

Kellye Mills said...

If you like all that political spy genre stuff, you'll def. like the books. My husband reads them and loves them. I personally get too confused with all the plane specifics and such! :)

I told you you'd be hooked on this tri stuff!

Ryan said...

I haven't seen ANY of the movies, I am so un-American.

Sign up for the race.

Until you sign up, you are just working out.

Start Training Now!

Good Luck,

Ellie Hamilton said...

Jen -- Hi, I'm new to your blog; I found it through Cliff's blog. I love your blog description/mission statement. I want to get back to the place where I have the same desire. I've, well, not lost it, just gotten snowed under with other things. I'm connecting with other Christian triathletes tonight :-)