Monday, February 18, 2008

House slippers and my new flat


As I write this morning, I am sitting in my new flat, freezing my tush off, wearing my "house slippers" but happy as a clam. I slept here last night for the first time. I was absolutely exhausted. Although I haven’t worked out since Friday, I definitely got the run-around workout the last few days, walking some of the stuff between flats. I'm going to need to do some repair tonight or tomorrow in stretching my back. And my workout schedule starts again tonight. I also need to really monitor sugar intake….Man I went overboard this weekend! Parties went great but lots of baked goods and I fell hard.

Now I know why most Hungarians wear "house slippers". Everyone takes their shoes off when they enter your house. I had some Korean friends in Highschool and this was their tradition too. I always thought it was strange. I think it is mostly an asian tradition and Hungarians have some Mongolian roots.....so who knows. Anyways, whenever I go to a Hungarians home, you take your shoes off and wear a pair of their slippers left by the door for you to put on as you walk around the house. I can see why -- your feet freeze if you don't wear them. So last night I bought a few cheapy pairs of house slippers from Ikea (my favorite store in the world....)

Anyways, my new place is furnished and came with a “coffee maker” I’m trying to get hot water out of the thing so I can make a French press but it keeps spitting at me. Not a friendly roommate. This french press from Ikea is awesome! I actually got it for my dad two Christmas' ago but this summer i realized he hadn't even used it once. I thought for sure he would have tried it so I asked him if I could have it back (does that make me an Indian giver?) if he wasn't going to use it. I'm loving it!!

The coolest part about this new place - - the bedroom has a loft. Yes, that's right. I'm sleeping in a very cool loft! I feel like a kid, but I'm just scared I might slip on my way down. Anyways, It's really cute!

I can’t figure out how to use the heaters here so I guess I will remain cold until I do. Some of the staff will bring the rest of my stuff (the heavier stuff) to the flat after staff meeting. Hopefully, we can figure these old heaters out. If not, I'll be using every blanket around until it gets figured out.

I love my new neighborhood. I’ve had to figure out new bus routes to get where I’m going but so far, so good. It’s like a new adventure, which I’m always up for and it means staring at new faces, seeing another side of Budapest. I realized the people who ride the buses are much more lively than those who ride the metro. On the metro you can literally sit there for 10 minutes and not hear any noise. It’s reminds me of catholic church when I was growing up. But on the buses, people are talking, moving around. It just seems more lively. I like that. I’ve already met some new neighbors – even the lady who checked me out at Ikea (the best store in the world) is my neighbor. People are friendly and I’m finding they speak better English, always a plus! Woo hoo!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a cool new place. I hope you get the heat figured out.

akshaye said...

Sounds exciting! Really do hope the heat situation gets sorted out for you.

Jen in Budapest said...

I just got the heat turned on, thank you Jesus!!!

Matthew Celestine said...

Removing shoes when entering homes is an excellent custom.

Shoes pick up so much dirt. I dedicated an entire blog to this subject:
Shoes Off at the Door, Please