Friday, February 22, 2008

A new training week started today!

Woo hoo!! It felt so good to get out there again! 45 minute run and I was kicking myself for skipping all my planned workouts this past week. But it's a new training week and I'm off on the right foot. Felt it a little in my knees and back so I'm going to take extra care to stretch a lot this week.

I loved walking outside the front door and crossing the street to the national park. The run was "Nona style" which means I didn't stick to my normal routine of doing laps around the park. It was the off-path adventure. I loved it. North Face has a tag line which says "Never stop discovering". Hmmmm that's a life tag line for me. We only use such a small percentage of our brain, it's good to challenge the limits of that.

New Goal: Keep discovering random paths and work myself up to pass the 1 hour run mark in the next few weeks. What I need to get is something to measure my distance and miles per minute. I also need to figure out how I can track my mileage on the bike. Not sure what's out there.

On a personal note, a friend and I had a really good chat about putting your hope in God and trusting Him when things are unclear. I was very encouraged! Also been encouraged by a book I borrowed from the Scofield library over Christmas called "A Shepherds look at Psalm 23." Did you know that when sheep get too heavy from wool, they fall over on their backs and can't get up and it's called "cast down"? The author talked about this analogy to our life as believer's in God during those times. When life gets too heavy on us we get thick with wool. Oh yeah and growing inside that wool includes all kinds of bugs and diseases. The author said that it's the hardest thing to sheer a sheep because they fight it the entire time but once it's done, everyone is happy. I love Psalm 23 too!! One of my all time favorites, probably because it also has sentimental value with my grandma.

Have a great weekend all! And if you're training, never stop discovering....;0)

4 comments:

Yellowgiraffe said...

heya... just wanna let you know, it's always interesting to visit your blog. i marvel at how you balance your life between God, work, trainings, social... i like your choice of music too!

i am going to look up this book you mention. i have been running away from God for so long and it seems that He's drawing me back. i am re-discovering God but finding it a big struggle to put my trust in Him and to be obedient... especially when things are in topsy turvy... but i am working on it.

thanks for your blog... makes me think that it is possible to work out a "system" and divide time on spiritual, intellectual, physical, mental and emotional development.

jeanne

Cliff said...

Jen,

Good to hear that you had good chat w/ your friend about faith. Those are key moments to help someone grow (discipleship in disguise).

Psalm 23 is definitely a good psalm. A good psalm that shows the reality of life. I like it b/c it reminds me of the trial that i had gone through and how God was always there.

If you are looking ot track your mileage on where you run, take a look at http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/.

Unknown said...

I wish you a wonderful training week and definitely look for the path less traveled. You never know what you might discover.

Jen in Budapest said...

Jeanne - it's an older book so I hope you can find it. The author is Phillip Keller.

Cliff - thanks for the website. I'll check it out.

Rob - really good --- taking the road less traveled and asking ourselves each day what that looks like....