Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Saturday to Szentendre


I have been wanting to do this bike ride since I first arrived to Hungary in 2006.

I think that it's going to finally happen this Saturday. It's about a two hour bike ride and I'm SO excited to see this historical city in Hungary. Here's a little bit about the city and some photos taken on Wikepedia.

Populated for well over a millennium, under the Romans it was called Ulcisia Castra, meaning Wolf Castle. Since the 1500s it was considered the center of the Hungarian Serb community. It is the see of the Buda Eparchy of the Serb Orthodox Church. In the 1700s, after liberation from the Turks, Szentendre enjoyed a rebirth with Mediterranean leanings, as Serbian, Croatian, Slovakian, German and Greek newcomers moved in and lived alongside the Magyar (hungarian) inhabitants. According to the 1720 data, 88% of the population of the town were South Slavs (mostly Serbs, but also some South Slavic Catholics). [1] The town to this day is characterised by a south European atmosphere with much baroque architecture, churches of various faiths, narrow sidestreets, and cobblestone roads.

Hopefully the weather will stay as nice as it has been, and Nona and I will make the trek to this cool city. It may become a regular event.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen, Before I came last October my daughter's Hungarian friend Marta said that Szentendre was a "Can't miss" place to visit. Of course, I missed it. I'm hoping to go when I return in September . . . or maybe I'll just experience it vicariously through you! Luv, Jody

Jen in Budapest said...

Hey Jody!!

Thanks so much for staying in touch with me. I'm excited that you guys are coming back in September. Have you cooked anything interesting with your paprika sauce?

Lots of love, Jen