Thursday, February 14, 2008

Quick run with Nona and biking in Buda

I feel good about todays workout. It was a shorter run -- just 33 minutes, but we took on a hill and ran through the open parks of Hero's Square. I like following Nona's lead as I tend to do the same old boring route when running by myself....just doing laps on Margaret Island's track or laps around Hero's Square. She likes to mix it up and I appreciate that. She's getting ready for some adventure racing and is slowly working herself back into the mode of being a workout maniac so I get the benefit of her slow journey back seeing as I'm on the slow end. So, this is working for me. But I want to increase my endurance, my volume. I'm ready for longer workouts -- like all you champions who take on more than 45 minutes. When will I ever get there? I'm ready for more. Bring it on!

Today I had to go to Buda to do some shopping for the parties we're having this weekend. At the last minute, I decided to bike it over there with backpack so I could carry stuff back. I love one particular stretch of the road along the Danube river, past the castle district and then into the heart of Buda. It ended up being a one hour bike ride each way. Some of it was city streets but mostly I had the Danube and the bridges. The weather was colder than I expected but I wanted to be outside. It didn't sound appealing to ride the metro and be in cramped spaces with lots of people. Plus my metro pass expired and I didn't feel like standing in a line to get it renewed today.

I'm back home, unloaded what I got and have to go back out again for more things.

It's funny because unlike the states, there is no Walmart or Target or a place like that -- a one stop shop and so a lot of times you have to go to several places just to get what you need. Everything takes so much longer than usual. For example, this past Sunday I was going to make a cornbake for this party I went to and I ended up going to three stores before giving up because I couldn't find frozen or canned corn. That's when it gets frustrating.

Anyways, the bike ride was great. Actually it would have been 2 hours and 15 minutes because earlier this morning I biked to Hero's Square and back. And I'm proud of myself for choosing the harder thing. Crazy thing is that if I would have ridden metro it would have taken 45 minutes each way so it isn't much quicker to ride public.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you for getting on your bike to run your errands! It sounds like you're in a beautiful area. What an adventure.

By the way, I was shocked to hear Fred Hammond when I got on your blog. My husband LOVES his music! I thought he was the only white Hammond fan out there. ;)

Alison said...

Jenny P! I"m impressed with your tri-training. I wish I had that kind of discipline.

I didn't so much as 'lose' my blog as much as I accidentally deleted it. I thought I was deleting another blog of mine. That's what I get for not reading carefully.

I'm not sure how to back it up, but I think google has a how-to on the subject.

I'm doing really well, but will reserve the details for an email...what's your email address?

Happy Valentine's Day to you too!

Unknown said...

Nice job on the running and biking. I bet you will get to the longer runs soon enough.

Jen in Budapest said...

Annette - that's cool. yes, he's good peaceful music for me especially that song.

Alison - I saw that Michele started blogging too. Should be fun. yes, email...jenpell@gmail.com

Rob - thanks for the encouragement.

akshaye said...

33 minutes isn't short.. you;ll work your way up. Specially since you enjoy your runs so much.

BreeWee said...

33 is a GREAT start... you will be to longer runs before you know it and can look back and laugh and think wow! When I got into running I struggled to run this 4 mile beach loop. I would make 2 miles of it, walk then try to run again. Before you knew it I was running the full 4 miles. AND then a whole marathon, then a marathon after a 2.4 swim, 112 bike! You can do it to (one foot in front of the other). Let me know if you need any help! AND hope the bread turns out good! you can use any salt!
Happy weekend!

Unknown said...

I like running errands on my bike. It makes me feel like i'm doing two things at once...exercise and errands!!

Kellye Mills said...

That's a really great bike ride! Keep commuting like that, and your bike split will be AWESOME!!

And I agree with Bree on the run. When I first started running, I remember very clearly the day that I ran 30 min without walking! It's all about the little milestones!!

Have a great weekend!

Brooke Myers said...

Jen, empower the shorter stuff and before you know it you will be into the longer distances. The short stuff is just as important and just as powerful. You have to get comfortable and consistent with this now, so when the longer days come you will feel strong and be able to tackle it without wearing down.
"It's all about the little steps in your progress"