Thursday, February 28, 2008

An International Wedding

I've been a bridesmaid lots of times before but never with an international flavor.

Tonight Nori asked me to be one of her three bridesmaids along with friends Flora and Anna this May when her and Peter get married. When I asked her if Peter would have groomsmen, she said it's not traditional for the men to have groommsmen but that Peter was so excited to have bridesmaids. Hmmmm. The men stand alone on their big day. Is that biblical? ;0) Well, it was cool when Peter announced their engagement last week at the service, he said he is so thankful for other men who have been good and "real" examples of fatherhood and being a husband, people he can stand with and run this race of life with so yeah, he's not standing alone.

The most unfamiliar thing I learned tonight about this international wedding is that -- we (her bridesmaids) will have to "steal" Nori away during the reception and Peter will have to come find her. Normally, they would come back out together to laugh, drink and party until the early morning hours with their guests as traditional Hungarian weddings can begin at 4 pm and not end until 3 am.

Opah!!!

But, Nori said they want to take on the Western wedding style. This means after we hide Nori and she is found, they will briefly show their faces before taking off together at a decent hour for their honeymoon. yep! I'd have to agree....

Anyways, I could share story after story of what God has done in Nori's life this past year. It's truly amazing and I stand back in awe as I see that at so young in this couples life together God wants to build a strong story and make it crystal clear that He is blessing them, encouraging them and honoring them for doing things right.

It's going to be a great year.
-------------------------
I'm trying to get Peter and Nori to come and meet my family and stay on the west coast for a vacation in the future, since Nori was originally going to spend this past year near Stanford as a nanny. Truly, God had other plans in the works. As long as Peter can see Legoland and Disneyland, I think a west coast visit might happen. It would be great for them to see California and Nevada.
------------------------
Tonight Nori and I were reading through the analogy that the church is like a body with different parts that all function and do different things. My friend Susan, the quadriplegic from university came up again in our conversations and I get choked up as I remember her life. I'm struck by how much God taught me through her life. Truly she was a "weaker" part or person who deserved even more honor! God taught me so much about Himself and about people through her.
------------------------
My flat neighbors must be having a male bonding night. I can hear their male conversations and laughs loudly through the wall as I type. No female sounds have been heard in that direction since before Nori arrived at 7pm and Now it's 10:45 pm. Seems like they're having a good time. It's fun to hear another language and not know what the hec is even being said. When you finally DO understand one or two words it's like "Oh, I know that word!"

3 comments:

Kellye Mills said...

When I got married I WISHED that my family had some sort of cool tradition because I think international weddings and cultural ceremonies seem so very neat! Have fun with that!

Jeni said...

An international wedding sounds exciting, even if it is still a wedding... I hope you have a good time when the wedding rolls around.

Jen in Budapest said...

Kellye - yeah it's kind of funny to think of hiding Nori.

Jeni - oh I will, no doubt about it especially when you see people you love celebrate a very special day like this..... love it.