Thursday, February 7, 2008

Yeah, right.

So I'm online when I read an advertisement that says..."NATIVELY.
Break the language barrier.
Learn the language in 10 days."


10 days? Yeah Right.

Every week I'm reminded of my grave inability to speak Hungarian.
This week it came when I paid bills and at the pool (described a few blogs ago...)

The people who write these advertisements have obviously never tried to learn a new language. Who are these people? and who believes them?

I have to admit that this ad might have easily worked on me if I saw it before moving over here. Now that I have been living in a country for a year and a half, taking lessons, "immersed" in a Hungarian high school, and still only barely surviving with language.....I can only mock this ploy for my money.

Learn the language in 10 days? Are you kidding me? I LIVE in this world of misunderstandings and language barriers. I would LOVE to break the language barrier! I would LOVE to learn this language in 10 days. But I'm painfully aware that it will never happen.

Don't believe these ploys for your money. (I'm sure you probably wouldn't). And if you learn a new language in 10 days, I'll nominate you as president. But if you learn it that quick, you are definitely NOT human and something is wrong with you.

4 comments:

Marit C-L said...

Ha ha ha! Isn't Hungarian related distantly to Finno-Urgic (spelling) - or isn't it that kind of language? When I was there, I was amazed at how different it was from any of the Slavic languages I grew up speaking. Best of luck - hang in there. Your sense of humor helps!

Jen in Budapest said...

yes, it is....Finnish actually sounds like Hungarian but when you listen closer, you can't make out the words, even though it sounds Hungarian. Actually, it's because the tribes that settled Hungary and Finland are distant relatives but parted ways before settling....Interesting. You'll either laugh or cry and release endorphins either way so usually I find a way to laugh but there have been times when tears flow too....so yeah, humor helps.

Cliff said...

There is a way to learn a new language in 10 days. Just go to that country and live in one of those small town.

Then you are force to learn to communicate ;-)

Jen in Budapest said...

Well, I've been here for 1.5 years and still don't know it....but it's true...I think you learn it quicker if you're "in it.'